Friday, June 8, 2012

WHY I'M NO FAN OF THE SUBWAY SERIES

Every season it comes. It starts with the text messages and phone calls. The closer the time comes, the more dread and horror I feel. I almost have nightmares about it. The time when we have to face our cross-town rivals, the Mets.

I’m going to cut to the chase and say I don’t like the Subway Series. Absolutely despise it, actually. To be fair, I really don’t enjoy interleague play in general, notwithstanding the World Series. The whole concept makes no sense to me. I mean, how can it be fair for the Cincinnati Reds to face the Yankees when no other team in their division does? But the Subway Series is especially hard for me to endure. Maybe it is because I live in New York City and have to put up with Mets fans. The rivalry between the Yankees and Mets gets taken to a whole new level during this interleague play. Seriously, on Monday alone I received ten messages from Mets fans taunting me.
The Mets and the Yankees fight for space in the newspapers, and they fight for the love of New Yorkers. And fans fight for the right to call the other team out for their inferiority. It reminds me of the scene from “West Side Story” where the Jets and the Sharks showdown... maybe with less dancing and singing and more crackerjacks and hotdogs. Actually, during the 2000 World Series, my high school resembled that almost exactly. Mets fans on one side of the lunchroom, Yankees fans on another. New Yorker’s are extremely competitive. We want to be the best at everything and expect just that of our teams. So when our two hometown teams face each other, it could get a bit sticky. And by “sticky” I mean extremely crazy fans running around doing a lot of smack talking.
In reality, the Subway Series is good for both teams. It brings in extra revenue for them. For a team like the Mets, the sell-out crowd is great. And the energy among baseball fans in the city is almost electric. Fans of both teams are excited to play and beat the competition. But of course, there always has to be a few bad seeds that ruin it for the rest of us. For example, the man today who told me he better never see me wearing a Yankees cap in Mets country... I live in the Bronx. It’s those fans that just ruin the enjoyment of this series for me. Unfortunately, I know a lot of Mets fans like that. Making it really simple for me to say I hate the Subway Series.



--Erica Morales, BYB Writer




ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017