Friday, June 1, 2012

AND FOR JETER, THE REST IS HISTORY...


2O years ago today, the New York Yankees drafted Derek Jeter.  I remember for me and Mikey Blue, the hype for us was enormous.  We went to every card shop and card show for weekends after that trying to snatch up Jeter cards.  I mean, if you think about it, the Internet was fairly new and the hype just came from the newspaper and word of mouth.  It was wild though because today, he and I have tons of Jeter cards and now I can pass history down to my kids and so on.  So many times you hear about a phenom and you go out and collect cards, like Brien Taylor for instance and it doesn't pan out. Let's just say I have a ton of Brien Taylor cards that are worthless.
(In photo: Derek Jeter, Jim Leyritz and Mike Gallego)
So yeah, it was 20 years ago that the Yanks used the 6th pick in the draft to draft a high school shortstop named Derek Sanderson Jeter.  He was from Kalamazoo Michigan and who the hell knew he'd become what he has. It's amazing and I'm thrilled for him and for the Yankees.

It's funny, I recently asked Marty Appel, the former PR Director for the Yankees (Read YANKEE STORIES REVEALED BY PR GIANT MARTY APPEL) who he thought would go to the Hall of Fame on the first ballot of all the player right now.  Marty said: 

" I don't think too many of your readers would disagree with this answer; Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera.  No explanation necessary.  But I would add, that in '96, some felt Jeter wasn't ready, and a veteran shortstop was needed at least for one year.  So they discussed trading Mariano Rivera for Felix Fermin.  Imagine if they'd lost Mo in that deal, and if Fermin had a career year, they felt it was Okay to trade Jeter too.  If the best deals are the ones you don't make, how about that one."
Can you imagine Felix Fermin as the Yankees shortstop? And who knows what could have happened to Jeter...probably amazing on some other team. Plus, who knows if we'd win those 5 championships without him and Mo.  It's just interesting that's all.

Look, I've written a million stories about Jeter, the role model, the player, the person. He impresses me and continues to do so.  My oldest son worships him and I'm glad about that, because there are a ton of guys that I just don't see as "good enough" for my kid to want to be like.  Jeet, yeah... I can get on board with that. 
Jeter has great focus, a great drive and it all stems from his parents.  I've written that in WHY JETER IS EPIC FOR 1 GOOD REASON.  He knows his role because he was taught correctly about life and how to play this game without arrogance, without selfishness, just old fashion respect and heart.  There's nothing better and as far as I can see, the guy's never moved away from those values.

So, here's my salute, I tip my hat to the Yankees for being smart about their choice 20 years ago, and I tip my hat to Derek Jeter, one of the classiest players that I have ever witnessed play this great game.  Keep doing what your doing, because you do it better than all of them.

ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017