Wednesday, April 25, 2012

WHY THE YANKEES LOST A LOT TODAY

The Yankees lost both Michael Pineda and their game to the Texas Rangers tonight 7-3.  Double whammy and there's nothing we can do about it, except move on.
 Let's talk about the game first... Hughes started out great, but Hughes fell apart again and let's call it what it is... a disappointment.  I've been barking about the Golden Boy and Freddy Garcia all season, each and every start is a disaster.  Let's call Phil Hughes what he is and what he should be, a reliever. I've written about it for a while now and while the Yankees want the magic of 2010 all over again with an 18 win season, let's face it, he won't get there again, if he could, he would be already.  Listening to Girardi tonight, it's clear, the Yankees still believe this kid can be the guy they called the next Roger Clemens back in 2006. Well, it's not 2006 anymore and a lot of years and a lot of injuries and problems later, I think maybe we start the transition.  Maybe the pen is the right spot.  Read WHY THE PEN IS WHERE HUGHES BELONGS. I wrote that last season and I'm sticking by it.  It's time and the Yankees need to make it happen once Andy Pettitte comes back. Look, it's my opinion on this mess, things can change, but for now, this is where my heads at.

Speaking of Andy, he pitched tonight in Trenton for the Thunder, going 5 innings, allowing 7 hits and 4 runs.  Baby steps for Andy and I'm looking forward to him coming back soon.

But back to the game tonight, Hughes went 2.2 IP, he allowed 5 hits and 4 runs and struck out 2.  His ERA is up to 7.88. That stinks Ladies and Gentlemen. I don't care that he retired 6 out of 7 batters he faced to start the game off tonight, if you fall apart like Hughes is falling apart, something is a miss and Larry Rothschild has some work to do. Will he leave the rotation right now? No, but they need to fix this kid or move him.


David Phelps allowed 3 runs tonight in 2.1 IPs. He also gave up 5 hits and sadly, he did better than Hughes...slightly.  I know, I shouldn't be comparing, I'm just making a point. I've heard cries to give Phelps a shot as a starter... I'm on board with that. Phelps has pleased me this season, the kid's alright with me.
Derek Jeter had 2 more hits tonight and his average is up to.420.  Usually right around the end of April, your average starts to go down as a ballplayer...Jeet's is going up. Unheard of, but I absolutely love it. Raul Ibanez had 2 hits and 2 RBI's tonight, he had a double and a home run. I mean offensively, that's really it for the Yankees tonight.

Final Score: Rangers 7 - Yankees 3.


Also, in case you live under a rock, news out of Yankeeland suggests Michael Pineda will now be out for the entire season and a portion of 2013 as well.  He has a torn labrum and it will require surgery, surgery that will take place Tuesday. Read about it HERE. It's a damn shame and BYB will have a full analysis and opinion on this mess early tomoorrow so keep checking back. I really just want to get my hands on enough info before formulating an opinion on the Pineda situation. 

Go Yankees... off day tomorrow and Friday they play the Tigers...looking forward to getting back on track and start winning.

ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017