Friday, February 3, 2012

WHY MY GUT SAYS DAMON WILL BE A YANKEE

I'm not exactly sure why, but my guts acting up again. I read today that Johnny Damon is demanding a price tag of $5 million to play for a team and I assume that means any team, but I know if the Yankees and he spoke, it would be a done deal. Anyway, read Jayson Stark HERE. To me, personally, that's a no brainer for the Yankees. First off, the price is right and secondly, We know what were getting with Damon. Damon's a lefty bat that can crank it out to Damon's deck and as a platoon with Andruw Jones, there is no doubt in my mind that that can be productive platoon.

Now there are plenty other guys equally qualified to come to New York and swing a bat, not to mention someone like Bill Hall, who while he has a decent bat, can also be a great utility, playing the outfield and second base. Read HERE. I like Bill Hall, but I love the idea of a Johnny Damon reunion.You also have to think about guys like Hideki Matsui, who went out with a bang in 2009 and has played with the Athletics and Angels since then. Matsui too would be someone worth pursuing, but the price tag needs to be $5 million or less. This way, if the Yankees wanted to still go after Bill Hall or a Eric Chavez, they could afford it.

Vladimir Guerrero, Manny Ramirez and Raul Ibanez are also out there. And yes, it was being reported HERE, that the Yankees and Ibanez were talking. I just don't see it. While he could be a production piece to the Yankee puzzle, at this point, I think the Yankee really want familiarity and Damon or Matsui fit that mold. I do NOT see the Yankees pursuing Manny Ramirez. Back in the day, that may have been fun to have Manny in the lineup. Hell, I would even suggest that if the Boss were alive, he'd give Manny a second... or third chance to get back on his feet after his suspension. But in this day and age, it's not happening.Guerrero would be nice, but we already have a righty hitter in Andruw Jones. To me, signing Vlad doesn't make sense now. It only would have made sense if the Yankees needed a righty.

No, I'm pretty confident that Cashman would reach out to Johnny Damon and try and nail him down with just a few weeks to go before Spring Training. After all, Johnny Bravo would be a great addition and I have no doubt that he'd also be productive. But vote in our poll tell us who you like...which DH do you want? When the poll concludes, we're write a piece on it.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017