Saturday, January 14, 2012

WHY THERE'S A NEW CORE FOUR ON THE WAY

Last Saturday the Core Four, or in this case the Key Three, took another hit when Jorge Posada decided to call it quits. Read HERE. This now leaves the Yankees with two members left of the original Core Four in Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera. In fact, the Cour Four could take another hit after the 2012 season, as Mariano Rivera's contract will be up, and at the age of 42, approaching 43, with nothing else left to prove, I can see him calling it quits. Anyway, as Yankee fans, we're going to have to think about the next Cour Four as the current Cour Four is shrinking by the year.

Before I get to my proposed new Core Four, I believe we can all agree that in order to be a Core Four member you must be someone who was drafted, or signed as an international free agent at a very young age by the Yankees to qualify. Agreed? Good. So, without any further adieu, here's my proposed new Core Four...1. Robinson Cano: I'd say right now Cano is the best player on the Yankees. I know Curtis Granderson was great last year, but Cano is simply amazing. He's amazing with the bat, as he's hit .308 with a .347 OBP, 144 homers and 621 RBI since his rookie season in 2005. Not to mention, he's very solid with the glove. As the years go on, it looks more and more like Cano is becoming the face of the team going forward. In fact, if he keeps this up we could eventually see Cano end up in Cooperstown. It's not a crazy thought folks, he's that good.
2. Austin Romine: Originally, I had Jesus Montero in this spot, but with the blockbuster trade sending Jesus Montero to Seattle for Michael Pineda, I'm putting Romine in this spot. I didn't put Romine in this spot just because Montero is no longer a Yankee, I put him in this spot because I truly believe Romine can be a key piece in the Yankees puzzle down the road. Although he doesn't hit for much power (.415 career slugging percentage in minor leagues), he's a guy who hits for a good average (career minor league .281 average), and is a good defender behind the plate. He won't be a superstar, but not everyone is. And yes, I know Russell Martin is the current everyday catcher, but don't be surprised if Romine gets the backup catcher nod breaking camp, then becomes the regular catcher in the next year or two. Finally, do you remember last June when I wrote WHY ROMINE MAY BE THE FUTURE, NOT MONTERO? It looks like that very well may be the case.

3. David Robertson: With Robertson's awesome 2011 season (1.08 ERA, 13.5 K/9, one homer allowed in 66.2 innings), it looks more and more like he's the heir apparent to the great Mariano Rivera. Look, the guy isn't going to have a career like Rivera did, but I'm willing to say that he'll be the next best thing to Rivera in terms of his replacement. The guy has guts, and has ice water in his veins, as you can tell with his ability to get out of jam after jam. It's clear that Robertson has the all important closers mentality, and can step right into the closer's role when Rivera retires with ease.4. Manny Banuelos: This may be a stretch, but I'm willing to go on record and say that Banuelos will be known as the starting pitcher in the Core Four. I'm sure a lot of people believe it could be Ivan Nova, and while you could be right in the end, I believe Banuelos will end up being the better pitcher. He has an electric fastball, a great Bugs Bunny like change-up, to go along with a sharp curve ball. He'll turn 21 in March, and will be entering his full season of AAA ball. There's a reason why he's already in AAA. I see this kid doing great things for the Yankees in the near future.

There you have it, the new Core Four. Cano is the middle infielder like Jeter. Romine is the catcher like Posada. Robertson is the closer like Rivera, while Banuelos is the starting pitcher like Andy Pettitte. Like I said, I'm willing to go on record with this, so if you'd like save this piece and check back in a decade and a half and see how I did, go for it.



--Jesse Schindler, BYB Staff Writer



Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017