Sunday, January 8, 2012

WHY JORGE'S END IS ONLY THE BEGINNING

Thinking about Jorge Posada and the report that he is planning on retiring in an official announcement within the next few weeks, it made me think... Jorge may not have been an incredible catcher, but he was a 5 time All-Star, a 4 time World Champion and a Yankee and ONLY a Yankee with more guts than any athlete that ever walked on the field. It was a great run for Jorge and as we slowly see the Core Four drop the three and soon to 2, We know it may be the need for Jorge, but it's only the beginning for us Yankee fans.Derek Jeter is a few years left, and Mariano Rivera is probably finished after 2012. These are the same group of guys that we watched grow up, the Yankee way, win 5 championships together, become some of the closest friends in baseball and we've watched it all unfold in front of our eyes. We're not only happy to have the Core Four as Yankees, we're lucky. Something like the Core doesn't happen every day, in fact, it never does. We experienced something real special Ladies and Gentlemen, and damn it was sweet.

So, within the next few weeks, Jorge Posada will do what I assumed he would do if he didn't sign with a rival ball club. He'll have a press conference at Yankee Stadium, sitting next to Laura and telling us all that it was time to call it a career... Not only for him, but for us. He'll thank us for the support, he'll tell us that it was a tough decision and he'll probably tear up a bit, maybe you will too, but when all that is said and done, Jorge Posada won't drop off the face of the earth and thank God for that. I mean sure, he'll vanish temporarily, he'll enjoy his family and relax a bit, but I see Jorge as being a part of the Yankees organization again. Would he be a coach? Perhaps. Would he be an instructor, a mentor for guys like Russell Martin and Jesus Montero? Perhaps. Would he become a Yankee manager one day? Perhaps. Will he disappear? No. Ladies and Gentlemen, Jorge Posada will always be with us and always be a New York Yankee.I say this next statement with no disrespect because I love Donnie Baseball so much, but when Don Mattingly left New York for Los Angeles and I saw him for the first time in Dodger blue, I almost barfed. That was very difficult for me to get used to. I mean, I understood why he did it and I respect it, but Don Mattingly will always be "just a Yankee" to me, but that tainted moment of seeing him for the first time in Dodger blue destroyed me. Now, I've gotten over it, I'll survive, but you know what I mean? There is something about "true" Yankees and how they wear the pinstripes and when they wear a different uniform, it's messes with the mind. I don't think we'll ever see Jorge do that, just like Bernie Williams and probably Derek and Mariano too. I'm thankful for that.

And don't forget, there are others, Robinson Cano who I eventually see as a captain of the New York Yankees. David Robertson, one of the toughest S.O.B.'s in our pen. Jesus Montero; if the Yankee organization keeps him around, it will be magical. Brett Gardner, he's got the speed, guts and heart you want in a New York Yankee. A New Core Four could emerge, and let's not forget about Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes. More excitement is coming ladies and gentlemen... it's not the end.

I look forward to Jorge's press conference. Sure, it will cement the end for Posada, but after 17 years as JUST a New York Yankee, that means something special. Jorge was one tough catcher... he wasn't the best, and he wasn't the greatest, but he was damn good. His grit, his passion and the love for his team was crystal clear to all of us. He loved the game and he loved being a New York Yankee. As a fan, you want that in a ballplayer...always.
So do your thing Jorge, we are proud of you and all you've given us. You're a warrior and we love your guts and remember something.... this isn't the end... it's only the beginning.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017