Thursday, January 19, 2012

WHY MY HEART BREAKS FOR GARY CARTER'S FAMILY

You know me, I’m human first, way before I’m a Yankee fan. I read this story in the New York Daily News today about baseball great Gary Carter and it just broke my heart. Read HERE:

"Carter’s family received a call from the doctors at Duke University who have been treating the Mets’ Hall of Fame catcher, informing them that the most recent MRI revealed “several new spots/tumors on his brain,” Carter’s daughter, Kimmy Bloemers, wrote on the family website.

In recent weeks, Carter’s condition has visibly worsened, and he began complaining of severe headaches, fatigue and balance problems that resulted in a fall on Christmas Day in which he tore his rotator cuff."

If you weren't aware, Gary Carter is suffering from brain cancer. He's fighting for his life. Gary Carter was a guy I watched growing up. He was one of the toughest catchers in the National League and he was part of that great Mets team. For God’s sake, I feel like this is Tug McGraw all over again. I was equally sad when Tug Mcgraw was suffering illness and eventually lost his life. So many of these great ballplayers go out there and play the game and we grow up watching them and they all seem invincible. Guess what, they’re not and it kills me to see what Gary Carter and his family are going through right now.

I guess all I wanted to do was let the Carter family know they are in our prayers here at Bleeding Yankee Blue, after all, this isn’t a Yankee thing, it’s a life thing and if you don’t feel for the Carter’s right now, you need to get a heart, this is tragic. All I can do is say this... if you want to send well wishes, do it. You can send to:

The Gary Carter Foundation
580 Village Blvd., Suite 315
West Palm Beach, FL 33409

I know, so many people go through life threatening situations every day, why should Gary Carter be any different, right? I understand, but this one hits home for me today. It really does and I wanted you all to be aware.

Stay strong Gary, just like you did all those years in Mets blue! You are in our prayers pal.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017