Sunday, January 15, 2012

AS THE DUST SETTLES IN YANKEELAND...

So unless you have been living under a rock, you all know by now that the Yankees and Brian Cashman just came out of hibernation. The Yankees acquired two starting pitchers to solidify our questionable starting rotation. Michael Pineda and Hiroki Kuroda are now New York Yankees and I couldn't be happier. Alongside CC Sabathia and Ivan Nova the Yankees have one of the best 1-4 starters in the AL. Look, we have no idea how this will turn out, but one thing I do know, the Yankees are trying to win in 2012, and that makes me very happy.

OK... so now that the dust has settled somewhat on these pickups there still remains two big questions:
  • How do the Yankees replace the offense Jesus Montero would have given us this season?
  • Who is our #5 starter?
Well, to answer question #1 Casey wrote a piece titled, WHY CARLOS PENA IS IN YANKEES PLANS. As Casey mentions in the piece, according to Jon Heyman, Pena is now on the Yankees radar to replace the bat of Montero, and then some. If indeed the Yankees pull the trigger on Carlos Pena, the DH combo of Carlos Pena and Andruw Jones, and throw in a healthy Eric Chavez, the Yankees could well be on their way to leading the AL in all offensive categories again.
Now, onto question #2: Who will be our #5 starter? Well one thing is for sure, the Yankees don't have a lack of pitchers that will compete for it. Lets take a look at the possibilities:
  • AJ Burnett: Something tells me that Burnett cannot be a happy camper today. He has to now know that the Yankees are willing to eat his contract at this point if he stinks it up this Spring. Look, I think the #5 spot in the rotation is AJ's to take if he wants it but he no longer is guaranteed anything. True, his agent is quoted as saying “He fully expects to be in the rotation", but nothing is set in stone, that's for sure. I hope AJ comes in this Spring and is lights out and stays in the rotation, I really do. But he needs to really prove he wants it, and if he can't do it, the Yankees will need to either trade him, or release him and eat it. Or... he'll have plenty of time to bake pies in the clubhouse.
  • Phil Hughes: I am not sure if Phil Hughes really lacks motivation. So I don't know if these pickups affect his psyche one way or another. But what I do know the Yankees will no longer wait for Hughes to work out his arm issues or build up his arm strength, etc. He either comes into Spring training ready to go and puts on a show or he will be in the bullpen, just like Casey would love to see (WHY THE PEN IS WHERE HUGHES BELONGS)... no questions asked.
  • Freddy Garcia: To me, I feel Garcia earned the chance to compete for that spot this Spring and I think that is the way the Yankees feel. Look, if Freddy picks up where he left off last season than he at least earns the right to start the season as the 5th starter, or possibly be that spot starter that Hector Noesi was going to be.
  • Killer B's = Dellin Betances and Manny Banuelos: This is where it gets very interesting. These two must have lit up like the sun last night knowing now that one of them have a legitimate shot at that #5 spot. You would think that when you are trying to break into the big leagues with a team and they go ahead and trade for two starting pitchers it would be bad news. I don't see it that way. I see this as an opportunity for one, if not both, of these young arms to joining the Yankees roster come Opening Day. If you ask me which one has the best shot, I would say Banuelos. But that's not to say that Betances won't be the guy. I am just going with my gut and my gut today says Banuelos.
One thing is for sure, I cannot wait for Spring Training. I cannot wait to see Michael Pineda and Hiroki Kuroda in pinstripes and, just as exciting, I cannot wait to see the competition for the 5th spot! I am so excited that the Yankees want to win in it this year!


--Mikey Blue, BYB Senior Writer
Email: DonnieBaseball2323@gmail.com
Twitter: @MikeyBlu23

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017