Wednesday, November 2, 2011

WHY FREDDY GARCIA DESERVES ANOTHER CHANCE


Yesterday, after the New York Yankees locked in a three year extension with Brian Cashman, Cash took to the press and, and made it a point what his focus will be on this off season, "pitching, pitching, pitching."  Lord knows we could use at least one more arm in our starting rotation and another lefty coming out of the bullpen.  With that being said, there is one pitcher who I think gave the Yankees everything he had in 2011 and surprisingly was one of our most consistent starters...I'm talking about Freddy Garcia.  Look, Garcia isn't in the running for the CY Young but you have to admit he was a pleasant surprise.  In fact, here are his final 2011 stats:  In 26 starts Garcia had 12-Wins 8-Losses with a 3.62-ERA.

Garcia's ERA this year was his second lowest, ever. In 2001 he had an ERA of 3.05 and in just 15 games with the Seattle in 2004 he had an ERA of 3.20 but again, that was in just 15 games.  So let me repeat this:  Garcia's ERA of 3.62 was the 2nd lowest in his 13 year career!  I found that stat pretty incredible.  The guy not only gave us everything he had this year but it was, statistically, one of his best seasons. Now granted, his Strikeouts total have declined as has his Innings Pitched but come on, with this Yankee lineup, having an ERA under 4.00 is pretty damn good.  So I was glad to read on the New York Post's website yesterday this quote from Freddy Garcia's agent Peter Greenburg:  "There's definitely interest on their (Yankees) part and there's interest on Freddy's part in coming back,".  I really hope so because I think Garcia showed in 2011 that he deserves another crack at it in 2012.  What do you think of this starting five for 2012...


C.C. Sabathia, Ivan Nova, C.J. Wilson, Freddy Garcia, Phil Hughes.  And look, we still have the possibility of a Yu Darvish, Roy Oswalt or Mark Buehrle.  But to me the odd man out of the rotation is Phil Hughes. I love Hughes but still feel safer with the veteran Garcia out on the mound facing the Red Sox.  I'm sure you noticed I left A.J. Burnett out of the equation.  I really think the Yankees are going to find a way to "retire" A.J.'s #34 during the off season.  I'm not sure how or when but based on one of Cashman's quotes in yesterday's New York Post the writing could be on the wall for Mr. Burnett.  Asked about Burnett's role next season Cashman said, "If he's with us, without a doubt he's in the rotation." Woah!  "IF"?  Come on, what General Manager would said that about one of his players under contract if he wasn't planning on dumping him.  That was very telling and brought a HUGE smile to my face.


Anyway, back to Garcia.  Obviously this off season and the upcoming Spring training will reveal a lot about the look of the 2012 Yankee starting rotation.  But if the Yankees resign him, which I think they will, and if he has a decent Spring Training and shows no signs of injury well than, in my eyes, he's earned another year as a starter in Yankee pinstripes.


--Mikey Blue, BYB Senior Writer
Email: DonnieBaseball2323@gmail.com
Twitter: @MikeyBlu23


Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter
@BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017