Sunday, September 11, 2011

GETTING THE YANKEE EXPERIENCE FIRST HAND

A lot of different names being thrown around in this piece, but it all goes back to 1 thing; the youngsters and the Yankee experience.First off is Jesus Montero who's been hitting and in a rhythm. Girardi moved him up the 5th spot in last night's game against Anaheim. He's usually in the 6 to 9 hole. That's expected because he's a rookie, but because of his consistent hitting, and injury to Swisher and Alex Rodriguez, Joe moved him up. I mean, I know it's early, but Montero is batting .348. Gotta love it.

The Yankees have now called up a total of 36 players this September and it was revealed by Joel Sherman that Dellin Betances is in Anaheim to hang with the Yankees. This move is done for 1 reason and 1 reason only, bonding and experience. Although I have a hunch Dellin Betances will be pitching at some point. According to Bryan Hoch, Joe Girardi said “If we need him, we’re going to use him.” I like that thinking... all hands on deck, and if that means the kids get to play, do it. It's the best way to get experience. It can't hurt. It's not like Betances is going to be thrown into a situation where they make him throw 123 pitches, no. They will monitor him and track everything he does. I say that's the way to go.

And speaking of Yankee experience. Lance Pendleton was been claimed by the Astros and is no longer with the Yankees. I was always a fan of Pendleton since his debut where he struck out the first 2 batters he faced. To me, that showed guts. In 11 games for the Yankees, Pendleton had a 3.21 ERA, struck out 8, walked 10 and gave up 5 earned runs in 14 innings. He'll improve over time with his new team in Houston, I wish him well.

Josh Norris tweeted the Yankees will bring up Manny Banuelos, David Phelps and Adam Warren and they'll be most likely called up closer to or during the Red Sox series. Norris says this is a move to workout with the team and get "Bigs" experience which, let's face it, it doesn't get better than the Yankees/Red Sox... am I right? These are the games you want to be at and witness first hand, and if Betances was say to, get into a game, his peers will be there to root him on.

While it’s exciting for these kids, I’d really love to see Manny Banuelos come into a game. No, it probably won’t happen, but I can dream can’t I?

Finally, a quick note about rookies and the Yankee experience. Not sure if you realized it last night but due to the fact that Swisher was out with elbow tendinitis and is day to day, Eduardo Nunez got the start in right field last night. Read about it HERE. Clearly, Girardi wanted Nunez's bat in the lineup. Nunez said, "That's the only time I've played right field in my life."

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017