Thursday, January 13, 2011

WHY NOTHING'S CHANGED

In this world of slow news coming out of Yankeeland, we're all trying to get a nugget, any nugget. Last night's story about Mr. Andy Pettitte "possibly" not being ready Opening Day and Brian Cashman misusing the word "start" for "pitch" was a nugget. Trust me. Especially when we're hanging on every word about Andy Pettitte from Andy Pettitte himself or from the Yankee brass.

I must have said a dozen times this year that Andy Pettitte is the pin that holds the whole Yankee rotation together. You can tell me that statement is obvious, but it wasn't obvious to many of us until after the holidays. That's when panic started to set in for many of us. Maybe you were sidetracked, maybe you were just thinking about how much money the Red Sox spent, or maybe you just didn't read me. I don't know. But the bottom line is, we need Andy, and I don't like holes in my rotation.

What I reported last night about Mr. Andy Pettitte not being ready for Opening Day is speculation based on the numerous reports that floated around fast and furious last night. Whether or not Brian Cashman uses "start" or "pitch" is irrelevent and here's why: Andy's not ready regardless. Even if Andy decides to come back, he won't be physically ready to pitch OR start, so I'm sorry if no one got it or misunderstood. At the end of the day, it's Day 74 and Andy isn't retired OR playing so we're at the same place.

If Andy decides he wants to come back and it's April, I know the Yankees would welcome him. So what happens then? This....he goes into training, he moves from whatever "light" workout he's doing and ramps it up and hopefully he's ready come June, maybe July. Are you telling me the Yankees wouldn't want a Mr. Andy Pettitte ready to go down the stretch? I would. What's my point? I suggested if Pettitte did come back, he may have to train to work his way back, similar to the way Clemens did. Is that fact? Hell no, this is an opinion blog ladies and gentlemen, but, let's face it, if he came back late, it would happen this way, trust me. (Side note, Jon Heyman is reporting that Andy IS training. I've heard otherwise.)

And while I'm on the subject of speculation and opinion, Headlines may be deceiving or maybe not to everyone. But let's discuss it anyway. If my post WHY PETTITTE WONT BE THERE OPENING DAY, confused people, all you had to do was actually read the post. Was I sad about the news that he wouldn't "pitch" or "start"? Of course. I'm more sad about the realization that this could be the end of the Andy era. That being said, it's not over yet.

So, to all the Bleeding Yankee Blue readers that got it, much respect. To the ones who didn't...maybe next time, but much respect as well.

Bottom line, Yanks need someone, and hopefully that someone is Mr. Andy Pettitte.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017