Monday, October 21, 2024

WHY LUKE WEAVER IS THE ULTIMATE CLOSER!


I have to remind myself that Luke Weaver has been pitching in the big leagues for nine years now. He feels like the fresh, new face in the room. He's not the young, blooded newbie and after watching him Saturday night, I'm convinced he's the Yankees secret weapon. Oh, and he's one hell of a gamer.

I was impressed with Juan Soto's three run homer last night. It was a great hit and gave us the win. Mad respect for coming up clutch in a time game, Soto. However, I was more impressed with Weaver last night. While the rest of the Yankees bench celebrated, Weaver was stone cold silent. He was in the zone, there was no breaking his focus. He still had a job to do, so he wasn't celebrating yet. "Once it went out (Soto's homer), there was no reaction out of me because I was in complete lock-in mode. I knew I couldn't exert energy there because I didn't want to go out there without enough energy to help us win the game," said Weaver. Read more HERE.


And I freaking LOVE that! Yes, Soto's homer was a huge moment, but the game wasn't over yet. Weaver still had to go out and close out the bottom of the tenth. This was going to be redemption for Game 3, which feels like a distant memory now but I bet it wasn't for Weaver. He had a lead to protect and a series to win on Cleveland's turf.

This game comes with so much emotion in it. We are so used to the showboating now, so when we get no reaction it's almost shocking. It makes you do a double take. I think it's a reminder that old school mentality still exists. He knew the team was counting on him. He was in a high-pressure situation, and he didn't get overwhelmed by the moment. He was focused on the end result. That's a gamer!


Weaver wasn't just the closer of the series, he's the closer the Yankees have been looking for. No offense Clay Holmes, but Weaver approached that moment like a seasoned closer. He knew the stakes were high. He didn't celebrate the homer, but he got to celebrate the series victory, and I just have a new level of respect for him.

I think we all have a new appreciation for Weaver now. Now I am more confident that when he takes the mound for the World Series he's going to be the definition of a big game closer....and someone the Yankees need to keep long term.


--Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
BYB Senior Managing Editor
Twitter: @nyprincessj






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.