Tuesday, April 29, 2014

WOULD YOU BOO ROBINSON CANO TOO?

Is the rain we are getting over the next few days symbolic of the tears we shed when our very own Robinson Cano defected to Seattle only a few short months ago?  Would you boo him if you had the chance tonight?  How about if you saw his life sized billboard in a New York City park?  Would you gesture at it? Scream at it? Boo Robbie Cano?


Many fans did boo Cano but then their true love for him came out when it was revealed that Robbie Cano himself was positioned right behind his pictured façade.  “On Monday, Cano made an appearance on 'The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon,' where he hid behind a cardboard cutout of his face in a New York City park as fans booed the picture of him. Cano would then pop out from behind the photo and surprise the bitter fans, who suddenly became very friendly with the Mariners second baseman,” stated the New York Daily News.



One fan got really into it, adding a "you suck" to his booing, but did a complete 180 when he saw Cano by shaking his hand and telling him, "welcome back to New York." Another fan got up close to the cardboard photo as he gave a long, loud Bronx cheer before Cano appeared. The fan proceeded to laugh, shake Cano's hand and said, "Listen, about that…” 


I was up watching Jimmy Fallon last night and appreciated him having the pulse on an Achilles heel for Yankees fans like me.  I want to hate him, but I can’t.  He was our very own.  He is the prodigal son who has come back home.  He grew up and now he has a new team and a new life.  But something tells me he misses home and his fans and despite the jeers and boos he may get from fans tonight, I know what’s in their hearts.  They are hurt but bottom line, they wish him well, much like I do.


"Hopefully, I'll be treated nice by the fans," Cano said. "And I'm just looking forward to going back and playing on the field where I first came up as a young kid, where I learned and grew up. And getting to see old teammates, especially Derek Jeter in his last year,” stated Cano in an interview with ESPN.

Cano is hitting .301 with one home run so far for the first month of baseball.  He has the potential of being on the top of the batting charts for not only the American League but major league baseball.  Good luck, Robbie.  Don’t let the fans get the best of you, and if the game isn’t canceled tomorrow night, look for me in the stands.  Not sure if I will be booing or cheering, but I will admit to missing you and wishing you the best.  Just not tonight!




--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Opinion Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof



 
You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017