Friday, March 28, 2014

IT'S BECAUSE OF ELLSBURY THAT WE NEED ICHIRO


Look, there were many fans that expressed concern when Jacoby Ellsbury was signed with the Yankees. The reason? Injury. When Ellsbury is healthy, he's awesome. But he gets hurt a lot and that's a concern. Brendan Kuty had a piece out in the Star Ledger he states that the Yankees are "weary" of Ellsbury calf injury.  That's the reason why he's been playing in the minor leagues.  I get it, but, then why the hell are we doing this? Many Yankee fans predicted this would happen.  I know, I know, you can say "Hey, he gets hurt a lot because he plays hard". I get it and I back him for playing hard. You want that in an athlete, but it's in the back of your mind as a fan, and that's why you worry... especially with a guy like Ellsbury.

On the other side of the coin, there have been unnamed sources and plenty of media that suggest that the Yanks are willing to trade away someone like Ichiro Suzuki.  Yesterday it was pretty much confirmed... for now anyway, that with Zoilo Almonte sent to AAA, Ichiro is the Yankees extra outfielder.  I've been skeptical of the Ichiro trade rumor for months here... and I'm glad the Yankees see his worth, even if some fans don't.

But here's where it all connects for me. If Jacoby Ellsbury goes down, who would have filled his role if Ichiro was shipped off to the Tigers or something?  Look, it's evident to me that if Jacoby strains something, he's out and Brett Gardner will move over to center. That's automatic.  Carlos Beltran is our permanent right fielder. He ain't moving. That leaves an open spot for left field. Sure, Alfonso Soriano can play there, but Soriano not as nimble as an Ichiro. Plus, he can't play the field every day in my opinion. We could easily put Soriano in the DH spot some days and put Ichiro in left. See what I mean?


Despite what people may think, and there ARE Ichiro Haters out there, he can still play. I got a kick out of the following comment below.  This guy commented on BYB the other day hating on my man. But remember, Ichiro is a singles hitter these days, so he'll get on base for you. He can also play the field easier than many in MLB...still at his age. Anyway, check out this comment:


First off, Ichiro is not terrible. That's silly to say that. Secondly, we advocate for the kids here at BYB. Having Zoilo Almonte is a great idea, but I wasn't sure the Yankees were willing to keep Zoilo on the roster 3 days ago and I was right when it was confirmed yesterday. I mean sure, Colonelnp's point is great and valid, but I don't think we disagree. I'm of the nature of thinking ahead with what we have right now and what we have right this second is Ichiro!


Look, we also got almost $6 million on the books for him. Why eat the salary and ship him out when you'll most likely need him?  Sure, Ichiro was a desperation grab when we traded away Hector Noesi, but he's not exactly a liability.  It was a smart move.  Ichiro on the bench is a good problem, especially if you need a pinch hitter, pinch runner or fielder.  He still has a glove... he still has a bat... and in a world of injury worry with Jacoby Ellsbury's history, and Ichiro willing to do whatever the Yankees need... again... this is a good problem. 

All I'm saying is keep Ichiro, especially if we have Ellsbury. Especially if we're worried about Ellsbury getting healthy. It makes sense.  

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

1 comment:

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017