Saturday, June 1, 2013

KEEPING THE POSADAS IN THE FAMILY

If you know anything here, you know we believe in friendships, family, the Yankees and pushing ones self to try an achieve a goal.  We do it every day here cranking out stuff you want to read.  You do it with our families and as Yankee fans, we know the importance of staying on top and focusing your family.

You also know that I have been a fan of Jorge Posada since the day he stepped foot in the Bronx.  We are peers, he and I are the same age, we probably have the same goals. The difference however is I try to do what he does in my suburbs, with my family, my work ethic and my own goals.  As a parent, you teach, and you hope it seeps into your children's minds.  Jorge and Laura are inspiring, and it's not just them.  I appreciate the way the Sabathia family helps communities.  I like what David and Erin Robertson do with their foundation... and it goes on and on.  Even young Ty Hensley learned from the best and is trying to make a difference.  You have to look at these leaders, respect them and hope that the positivity spreads.
I read a great article in Athletes Quarterly.  Ironically, CC Sabathia is on the cover and Laura Posada wrote the piece featured. It's titled Starting Over: Laura Posada explains why the first year of retirement is the toughest. Here is some of that piece:


"The transition for a player to retirement can be depressing. As a player, you are so used to your team needing you, that when you stop playing, it’s easy to feel unneeded. Even though my husband, Jorge, knew he was ready to stop playing professional baseball, as a family, we made sure he knew he was needed at home....For Jorge, that routine begins with taking the kids to school and picking them up. He did it every day this spring while he was home, and the kids loved it. He also made sure to continue working out....We didn’t take anything for granted during the first year. It was the first time as a family that we got to spend the Fourth of July together and watch fireworks, without Jorge having to travel. He was able to be at our daughter’s birthday without having to rush away to fulfill his work obligations."

These are excerpts, but you get the idea.  I often wonder about athletes after their sport.  I have often spoke about routine and when it all stops and how you adjust.  It's great to see that family is so important.  My favorite quote is this: "...we made sure he knew he was needed at home."

Hey, maybe it's my age, maybe I'm a big sap, but I think about my own kids when I think about that line.  The Posada family just wanted to make sure their dad knew how important he was to the family, even after retirement.

Laura concludes with this: "Nothing lasts forever. Certainly your pro career will not. A freak injury can take it away from you at any time. But it’s no reason to stop living. It’s a good reason to start living."

The full article is HERERead it, love it, share it. I felt like Laura just needed to get her thoughts on paper... kind of like what BYB does every day. 

I love and appreciate the Posadas.  Good people, positive role models.  Thanks for the great piece Laura.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017