Wednesday, March 27, 2013

FIRST BRANDON LAIRD, NOW DAVID ADAMS

I am scratching my head right now. I'm even twitching thinking about what just happened because I thought we were on this quest to get younger, and we were going to rely on the kids on the farm to help us in the foreseeable future. It makes sense. What doesn't make sense to me is letting David Adams go, read that here. I am trying to look at this from all sides, but we have already gone down this road before and it didn't work out.

I understand that the Yankees needed to make room on the 40 man roster once we officially acquired Vernon Wells. Someone has to go, but I am noticing a pattern here and it just doesn't make sense to me. I understand if the Yankees don't have faith in someone, fine. Go with your gut and make some changes, but do it smartly. I don't think just cutting David Adams was smart.

We've been down this road before. Think back to last year when we wrote about it here at BYB in a piece called HELLO PEARCE, GOODBYE LAIRD! It was the same situation, we picked up Steve Pearce to help fill in for Mark Teixeira (deja vu, right?) and we just cut Brandon Laird. CUT him. We didn't even bother trying to trade him and he had a good glove and a pretty good bat too. We wasted him. Now he is on the Houston Astros and could have a bright future on a team that is rebuilding. Good luck to him. It just sucks that we just released him and then by September we let Pearce go. I still don't see the sense in it.

Now if we look at this situation, the Yankees have just decided to release David Adams. We didn't even try to trade him. I understand he has had his issues in the past, and had some in spring training with his back but look at what he did last year in Trenton. He had a good year! He had a .306BA and he had a ton of hits. What team wouldn't like to see 23 doubles in 86 games? He makes contact and he drives in runs. He's not a power hitter, but at least if there are guys on base he is a good situational hitter. In the end we wasted him too.
(In Photo: David Adams)
I may be a little biased here. I have been able to watch David Adams play in quite a few games so I have seen how the stats translate in person. I know what he does and I know what he has to offer. The Yankees could try to resign him to another minor league deal, but I just don't see it happening. I wouldn't blame David Adams for taking an opportunity somewhere else either.

I know I have said this before but, even if the Yankees don't see the value in our youth here, they definitely have value somewhere else. It's frustrating to hear the media hype up the kids so much and make us feel like they are going to be the next big thing and then just cut them. What is the point in drafting and developing these kids if we aren't going to get anything back for it? Instead, we send them packing for the older superstars. What is the point in drafting these kids and spending a lot of time and money to develop tools that we can't even get a return investment on? I just don't think we are going about this the right way. There has to be a better way.

I know we won't use every prospect in our system. Some get traded, it is a big part of the game.Sure, some get cut too. Right now I really wish the Yankees would give our kids the chance to develop into superstars, especially if we are going to rely on them in future years if the Steinbrenners are really going to stick to this salary cap.

Can you imagine what our history would look like if the Yankees did trade Robinson Cano when he was playing for Staten Island? Or what if they did dump Mariano Rivera? I don't want to think about that. These kids deserve the opportunity to develop into those superstars, and the Yankees just aren't doing that right now.

In the end what's done is done. It can't be changed but I hope the Yankees do re-evaluate for the future. Until the kids get their shot I am going to sit here and continue to be a big supporter of theirs.   Welcome to pinstripes Vernon Wells. I wish you luck as well David Adams, and if this is goodbye just know that you will
be missed.





 --Jeana Bellezza, BYB Writer and Editor
Twitter: @NyPrincessJ



Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017