Monday, August 27, 2012

YOU WANT YANKEE ENERGY? CERVELLI TIME!


It’s right about now that the Yankees need that extra fist pump and energy to get them in sync for their final push toward the playoffs.  The season is long, anything can happen in a season like this, but through struggle and a nice winning streak earlier this season, the Yankees climbed to first place.  Now, suddenly the lead in the American League East is shrinking dramatically. No, the Red Sox aren’t close, instead it’s the Tampa Bay Rays and they are hot and heavy  right now breathing down our neck. Bottom line, I’m suffocating. Sure everyone likes good baseball, but when I comes to my Yankees, I want big leads and clear wins.  I guess that’s me looking for the easy way out, after all, I know the Rays are good.  So why am I writing this? Why am I suggesting we need alittle “extra”? No, I am not advocating 5 hour energy drink…I want that Yankee energy…time to call up Francisco Cervelli! After all, September 1st is when the teams expand to a 40 man roster anyway...let's do this!
Mike Lupica just groaned when it came to my Cervelli call up suggestion…well, I don't give a crap. Mike Lupica’s a Mets fan anyway.  I’ll never forget one day in the afternoon driving into the city, I heard his radio show and he and Michael Kay were ripping on Francisco Cervelli because he fist pumped during a game or something. They said “Act like you’ve been there before!”  Read WHY A CERVELLI FIST PUMP MEANS PASSION. They essentially suggested that Cervelli may be too immature to be a Yankee because he “doesn’t get” the Yankee way.  I said it then and I’ll say it now… Bull. Especially right now in Yankeeland…Cervelli is what we really need!  When the Yankees are down, they could use a boost of "Cervelli" to help put them over. In fact, right about now in looking for that call up. Why? 
Well, for 1, Russell Martin seems alittle more like Mario Mendoza than he does Thurman Munson (Read HERE) these days. I mean, he isn’t exactly lighting it up with a .250 average…Hell, does he even have a .210 average? (No, .196.) Bring up Cervelli, get that passion in the clubhouse and light a fire under Martin’s ass! Let’s get to winning!

My Yankees seem flat. They have for weeks now and they’re not the same team that was rolling during their big winning streak earlier this year.  They seem like they’re over thinking. Can it be changed? Sure it can, a win would help and then they need to build from there.  But we need more.  Ladies and Gentleman, I had a bad taste in my mouth the first day Cervelli was sent down to AAA this year.  I felt like it was a bad omen, don’t ask me why.  I mean, Cervelli is a good athlete, but he’s not a great one.  He works hard and delivers now and then…but there’s something about that passion that I would rather have on the major league level than wasted in the minor leagues. Plus, here is Cervelli this season: ,266 AVG, 4 HR, 22 RBI, 33-124 and a OPS of .719.   Bottom line, Cervelli wants to be there, even if he’s riding the bench...he wants to be with the big club. I find that refreshing.
Sure, Cervelli isn’t the only answer. I mean,  the Yankees have to dig deep right now and start winning. But there’s is no doubt in my mind that passion for this game helps and if you wear it on your sleeve and really believe, sometimes it rubs off.  I miss Cervelli. It’s time for that extra passion to rub on my Yankees… let’s get some wins guys, time is running out. 

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017