Saturday, July 7, 2012

WADE HAPPENS

I like Cory Wade.  It's almost unfair that I'm about to cream him in this post.  The reality is Wade has given his heart and soul to this team since we game his a chance last year, but something has happened and I feel for him.  He's not the same guy this season and that 7th inning killed the Yankees tonight.  Couple that with horrendous defense and we're not fooling anyone, it wasn't the Yankees night.

Look, the Yankees can't win every game the season, but my feeling is, when it comes to division rivals, it's almost a must.  That being said, the Sox feel the same way, that's why they're rivals.  The Yankees won the game this afternoon, but lost tonight and it had everything to do with pitching that just couldn't hold down the Red Sox offense and errors with a capital "E".
 The Yankees committed 4 errors tonight. 4. It almost sounds like a joke.  Like Ron Burgundy once said, "I'm not even mad, that's amazing."  It's amazing that there would ever be 4 errors committed by a professional ball club, EVER, but there was...
Phil Hughes started tonight and here's his line 5.1 innings, allowed 10 hits and 5 runs, 3 of them earned. He also had 3 strikeouts.  He wasn't great but wasn't horrible. Think of it this way, the Yankees were in the game with their 4 runs, the problem was, they didn't score again until the 9th when Eric Chavez had his solo shot.  Plus, it's my feeling that if Cory Wade didn't have his "breakdown" moment who knows... there could have been a chance. But that's baseball, what the hell are you going to do? When Wade came in, he only pitched 0.2 of an inning and gave up 3 hits and 3 runs.  Sure, I understand the rules and how the Yankees were allowed to bring up an extra player for a day night double header, but my only thinking is, did the Yankees really need to use him? My point is, these games are must wins, so if the Yankees have already sent down Wade because he was struggling, they clearly didn't have confidence in him.  Then why do you put him in against a division rival? That's all I'm asking...
(In Photo: DJ Mitchell)
I do like what I saw from DJ Mitchell tonight.  This kid has a future in pinstripes.  He just chucks it in, he trusts his fielders and he trusts his stuff.  I was impressed.

Only 6 hits tonight for the Yankees.  The biggest 3 were Mark Teixeira's 3 run shot in the beginning of the game, there was Andruw Jones who had a solo shot and Eric Chavez had his in the 9th. That's really it, in fact,  it was a disappointing 8th inning for the Yankees offensively.  I can't get over the fact that the bases were loaded and both Andruw Jones and Raul Ibanez popped out to the catcher.  It was a clear indication to me that it wasn't the Yankees night.  That kind of stuff doesn't happen unless the stars are aligned...apparently they were.


(In Photo: Pedro Ciriaco)
Finally, let me say this...Pedro Ciriaco is something special to watch, isn't he? I mean, I know he's on the Red Sox, but there's something about this kid's smile and his ability that anyone can fall in love with...I tip my cap to this kid, he's about to become something special in baseball...all he needed was a chance.

Final Score: Red Sox 9 - Yankees 5. The last game of this series is tomorrow night.  Believe me, I want to win 3 out of 4...and I know we can, because we're the New York Yankees, that's why.

ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017