Monday, February 20, 2012

WHY I CROWN IVAN NOVA OUR NEW PIE KING

Sure, there were some great moments from AJ Burnett, but none was more fun than the come-from behind-win Pie in the face. We learned to love it and we did many times. But now Burnett packed up his pies and went to Pittsburgh leaving a very important question… who will be crowned our next Pie King?

I’ve thought about this for 24 hours now, because I’m pathetic and need something to entertain you with every chance I get. This one's simple for me, the new Pie King needs to be Ivan Nova. Now you think I'm silly, but there is a meaning to my madness…hear me out.

95% of you would love to see Nick Swisher as the new pie guy and I bet if we asked him to do it, he would, but he’s one of the guys that gets those winning hits… bottom line, Swisher needs to get "pied", not do the "pieing."

Ivan Nova will pitch every 5th day, he can usually be available like AJ and he knows the tricks of the trade from Burnett, someone he calls his mentor and big brother. The connection between both Nova and Burnett ran deep in that Yankee clubhouse, read HERE and it’s my feeling that Nova could emerge as a team leader, motivator, prankster and Pie King. Sure I can see CC Sabathia doing it too, but the dynamic would be different. CC’s not exactly spry on a big Yankee win. He’ll need to be nimble, run down the tunnel, get the pie, come back with that big build of his and then run up the stairs and at this point, find the player that got the winning hit and pie him. I visualize this as slow and awkward and let's be honest, you need to take quickness into consideration. No offense CC, you’re my dog. No, in my eyes, we need to pass the torch to Nova... he just fits.

Why am I taking the new Pie King role so seriously? Because it's good for morale and I believe this is going to be a big year for the New York Yankees. I see big comebacks and big wins this year just like we did in years past. My take is simple, I believe Nova can do it and not only that, if he can do it with the same energy as AJ Burnett, it will be damn exciting again.

So, yes, from all of us here at Bleeding Yankee Blue, we crown you Ivan Nova... we’re passing the torch from your big brother AJ Burnett to you… get those pies ready bro, it’s going to be a busy year in Yankeeland as we start our march toward #28!

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and look for the hashtag #BYB. Also, join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017