Monday, February 20, 2012

SAY IT AIN'T SO, MO


So the greatest closer, if not the greatest pitcher, of all time arrived in Tampa today at Yankee camp and made the following pronouncement regarding his future in the pinstripes:  "I know now. "I just don't want to tell you. I know now. I will let you guys know when I think I should tell you." 


These are very interesting quotes from Mariano Rivera.  To be honest, it kind of surprises me that he would leave his decision out there knowing the media and fans will go crazy over this.  Everyone going to analyze what he said and how he said it.  Will this be his last season or won't it be?  Mo knows that this could kind of become a distraction for the team but maybe that is what he wanted, a distraction?  Maybe he is trying to take some of the media pressure off the new guys like Michael Pineda?  I mean you can't put it past Mo because we all know one thing; Rivera is the ultimate team guy.  We all hear the stories how he teaches and grooms the younger pitchers that put on the pinstripes.  Maybe Mo has the press right where he wants them, focusing on his possible retirement as opposed to sticking cameras and microphones in Pineda's face?


Look. as a lifelong Yankee fan and someone who loves Mariano Rivera it kills me to even think of Rivera not closing games for us.  Obviously as Rivera gets older he, of course, will one day call it quits, but is 2012 the last season...only Rivera knows.  I personally think 2012 will be Mo's last year.  By Rivera not telling us his plans until after the upcoming season he avoids all the attention he would get at every ballpark if they knew it was his last year.  Rivera probably doesn't want all the fanfare these opposing teams would show him.  That's just Mo, very humble.  I say, lets just enjoy the 2012 Mariano Rivera whether its his last year or not.  Lets just imagine Mo closing out the 2012 World Series and maybe walking away from the game...a storybook ending for the greatest pitcher to ever step on a Major League mound.

Keep it hear for all your Yankee news and be sure to #BYB on Twitter.


--Mikey Blue, BYB Senior Writer
Email: DonnieBaseball2323@gmail.com
Twitter: @MikeyBlu23

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017