Friday, December 16, 2011

WHY MISFIT TOYS WON'T CUT IT FOR US YANKEE KIDS IN 2012

My buddy said to me today: “I don’t know why, but I feel like Gio Gonzalez is coming to New York, even though the hype has been minimal.”

He’s right in some regard... it’s quiet, real quiet and it’s like we’re going to wake up tomorrow and we’ll have the trade of the century pulled off. That being said, at this point, there is absolutely no indication that Gio Gonzalez is being pursued by the New York Yankees ladies and gentlemen and it annoys the crap out of me. The Blue Jays, the Rangers the Tigers and the evil Red Sox appear to all be in in some capacity to get the stud lefty and if he went to Beantown, I literally may die. Read about it HERE.

That being said, it’s always interesting when Brian Cashman says things about players like “we’re not pursuing him” or “the timing isn’t right”; because that usually means things change and we WERE pursued the player regardless of what he had said. Cashman is a big fat liar. I love that about him. True, there is always that chance that it’s 2011 all over again and we look for cheap, broken down pitchers and save a couple bucks in the hope of once again capturing lightning in a bottle. My feeling is lightning never strikes twice though… you know what I mean?

Believe me, I wasn’t happy about last year's off season, but we did OK with Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon. But if we repeat, it’s the Colon Effect…reinventing a rotation, cutting corners, believing in the Island of Misfit Toys that no one wants in the hope that they can bring wins and joy to all of us Yankee kids. Sorry… it’s the Christmas season… too much Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer claymation movies.


But the point is that’s not going to cut it this year in Yankeeland. What does cut it? Quality pitching, and while we have some, we need more to win it all. Everyone else is doing it why can't we? Good pitching wins championships. You know it’s a slow off season in New York City when we talk about Derek Jeter’s sex life and gift baskets. He himself doesn’t talk about it, but we did in good old NYC (Read HERE).

Yes, it’s true, we may not get anyone this winter... sad, but true, but the bottom line is I have this weird feeling in my gut, like on December 27th, I’ll turn on the computer and click on Yankee Fans Unite and read a headline that will tell me and the Yankee Universe that we just traded for a top ace. The picture will be of Brian Cashman looking bad ass, maybe like this one:

The headlines will read:
  • FORCING GIO TO THE BRONX: Cash Skywalker uses force to woo Oakland and cripple Evil Beantown. Another deadline would read:

  • BIG FAT LIAR: Cashman fools us all and trades for Gonzalez. How about:

  • NEW YORK STATE OF MIND: Gio Gonzalez traded to the Yankees. Cashman has done it again!
Come on Cash, give us something to write about or someone in the New York media will somehow blame Alex Rodriguez for Ryan Braun’s alleged PED use… believe me, no one needs that…. They really don’t.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017