Saturday, October 15, 2011

WHY BUEHRLE WILL MAKE THE YANKEES BETTER

Many want to see CJ Wilson in pinstripes, and yes, while it would be nice... I prefer Mark Buehrle based on veteran grit alone. Look, assuming CC comes back, the Yankees will most likely only sign 1 pitcher and going on gut, I am just not sure the Rangers are willing to part with “Pretty Boy” Wilson at the end of the season. Just my opinion.After all, the Rangers are a good ball club and they are have been contenders for the past few years and losing Cliff Lee last winter and the idea of parting with Wilson this year would not make sense. They need him.That being said, maybe it's smarter for the Yankees to try and pickup Mark Buehrle. Yes, it's true though, things need to fall into place on the Yankee home front first so we can truly figure this pitching mess all out. That means CC Sabathia needs to stay in New York.

CC Sabathia: ESPN reported that the Rangers are among likely suitors for CC if he opts-out. Read that early report HERE. I say "early" report because later on today, Rangers GM Jon Daniels denied it. Look, I don't believe any of them. I believe if Sabathia opts-out, any team with money will make a pitch and that's all I need to know. Bottom line, the Yankees can't let Sabathia go, because if we do, then we'll need 2 big time pitchers, not 1.

Now, back to Mark Buehrle. If CC does come back, I would feel real good knowing that Mark Buehrle would be the Yankees number 2 pitcher.

In 2011: Mark Buehrle: 13-9 3.59 ERA / 205.1 IP / 109 K / 45 BB / Allowed 82 ER / Age 32

Career: Mark Buehrle: 161-119 3.83 ERA. Buehrle also has had 9 seasons of 13 wins of more in 13 seasons in the major leagues.

Look, I’m not privy to what the Yankee brass internals show, and I'm sure all of this hinges on CC. The way I see it, the Yankees pitching can't go on the way it went on in 2011. I loved seeing Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia kick some ass, but the Yankee fan base will not stand for another scotch-taped pitching rotation, especially after not getting out of the first round of the playoffs this year. Change is in the air.

So I think Freddy Garcia comes back, but Bartolo Colon won't. Let's pretend for a startling moment that CC opts-out and doesn't come back to New York. This is our rotation:

1- ?

2-Ivan Nova

3-AJ Burnett

4- Phil Hughes

5-Freddy Garcia

That's ugly. Nova is not a #1 starter and the Yankees would need a top guy to lead the rotation. Now, assume CC Sabathia does stay in New York and we can get a Mark Buehrle or a CJ Wilson. Suddenly, we look like this:

1- CC Sabathia

2- Mark Buehrle / CJ Wilson

3-Ivan Nova

4- AJ Burnett

5- Phil Hughes

Then if we do sign Freddy Garcia again, we do what we thought he would do in 2011, have him be the Yankees long man. It makes sense to me anyway, plus, what a difference 2 aces at the top of the Yankee rotation make.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I'm getting anxious. I know this all stems on CC Sabathia first. Personally… I feel like CC will be back in pinstripes for many more years. I know money talks, but pardon me for sounding naive, I think CC will be about family comfort, not money this time around. If he can get a long term deal with the Yankees for less money a year than say, the Angels, I believe he will take it. His family is planted just outside of New York and the comfort for them will be key.

At the end of the day, the Yankees need pitching and while we shined a turd with Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia last year, there is no doubt that that won’t work again this year. Yes, if we won it all this year with Freddy and Bartolo, you would make an argument that little is needed in the pitching department but we didn’t win it all, did we? Instead, we lost the first round. Pitching problems are now amplified and it needs to be fixed. My fix? Mark Buehrle.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017