Friday, June 3, 2011

WHY IT'S 1961 ALL OVER AGAIN

In 1961, I wasn't around yet, but Mickey Mantle was already quite established as one of the greatest Yankees of all time and Roger Maris was 5 years in as a Yankees outfielder. It was that magical season that Roger Maris broke Babe Ruth’s record of home runs by hitting 61. Years later, with the help of performance enhancing drugs, others would break that record, but to me, it still stands at 61 and that’s how I explain the history of baseball to my sons.

(Photo: AP)

I only tell you this only because Curtis Granderson and Mark Teixeira have slowly and silently crept into the home run race and many don’t even realize what’s happening right in front of them. When I see the power from Curtis and Tex, I’m reminded about the M&M boys. No, they are not larger than life like the stories my dad tells me about the fanfare and home run trots and the fans taking sides,but Grandy and Tex are loved and have proven themselves as true Yankees who have a passion for the game that is just as big as that 1961 season.

Back in 1961, after 43 games:

  • Mickey Mantle had 14 home runs
  • Roger Maris had 13 home runs
  • In 1927, Babe Ruth had 15 home runs
Now, if there’s one thing I know about Yankee history, it’s been 50 years since that historic 1961 home run race and this year marks the anniversary. I can’t imagine any other way to celebrate Yankee greatness than discussing another potential Yankees home run race. This year, after 43 games:
  • Curtis Granderson had 13 home runs
  • Mark Teixeira had 11 home runs

Currently, after 54 games:

  • Granderson has 17 home runs
  • Teixeira has 16 home runs
The thought of what could happen this year gives me chills, because if we look back to 1961, at 54 games:
  • Maris had 18 home runs
  • Mantle had 17 home runs

One thing I know from history is the pressure. Mickey was a laid back party animal who knew his talent and didn’t cave to the pressure. Roger on the other hand had enormous pressure. He didn’t want to be thrown into this mess, he just loved playing baseball and the home run race was an accident, but hey, when your hot your hot and Roger Maris was hot in 1961, no doubt.

In 2011, I see a relaxed Curtis and Teixeira and that could make for an exciting race. My only wish is that this contest goes deep into the summer and brings true excitement to the Yankees this year.

My feelings on this is simple, we need the fans to rally, the boys to play hard and the fun to happen, after all, it can make for a truly exciting season and let the world know that history is about to be made, and yes, the Yankees are leading the charge, again...5o years later.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

3 comments:

  1. If neither Mickey nor Roger had gotten to 60, and they'd still won the World Series, it would still have been a successful season. If they'd both gotten to 61 and failed to win, it would have been a failure.

    The home runs are nice, but I don't care how the Yankees win, as long as they win. After all, in the Yankees' World Series-winning seasons since 1961, the highest single-season home run total is Teixeira's 39 in 2009; whereas A-Rod's 57 and 54, and Tino Martinez's 45, came in non-Pennant years. Home runs are the icing, but the cake comes first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Mike, Winning is the only thing that matters. Home run races are fun as hell. Anyone who reads me knows that's how I feel. It's why we play the game. Having a home run race among Yankees would just be plain fun, but would mean nothing at the end of the day if we didn't win a championship, bottom line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. problem is there is another guy in this race but still very fun if it happens

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017