Saturday, August 3, 2024

IT'S ABOUT FREAKING TIME, AARON BOONE!


Why is this story so big this morning? Oh, well probably because Aaron Boone has never called out a player and this was the first time someone was dogging it, and Boone did something about it.  Does this make him a better manager? Nope, but at least it's making players accountable when they don't hustle.

Boone said that he needed to pull Gleyber in that moment, and it was "that simple".  He called it a learning moment for all of them.  I respect that... but where the hell have you been for 4 years? This is the manager we want.  No player should get a free ride any time.

Gleyber spoke to the press about it. “I think he did the right thing, especially in the moment... As a professional, you have to take the consequences. “For one second, I thought it was a homer. Unfortunately, it [was] just a single... I have to get better. I feel really sorry for whatever I [did] tonight, especially for the fans and also for my teammates.”

I love that Gleyber apologized.

Meanwhile, the best part of it was Joe Girardi was talking about it with Kay in the booth. Girardi was great at holding players accountable and so listening to his analysis is pretty great.  Watch the video above again with the volume up.

But I think the bigger thing for me is that this is what a manager SHOULD do.  And this is what Boone never does.  Why now? What's happened?  I like it, but I want more.  My favorite is the subtitles on this video below:

And that's my point.  We all know that Boone coddles, and Donaldson was a great example of that when he was in NY.  Let's hope this wasn't only a learning moment for Gleyber Torres and the rest of the Yankee players, but a learning moment for Aaron Boone. I have to give him credit on this one even though I can't stand the guy.  It was the right move.

My prediction? Torres will not be in the lineup today, OR, if he is, I hope he's running his ass off.  It would be good to see.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.