Monday, February 26, 2024

SHOULD SPENCER JONES BE UNTOUCHABLE?



I feel like there are more "YES" answers to this question after his massive home run this weekend. It was a beauty for sure. But what about before the home run? What about when the Brewers wanted him this winter? Or when the White Sox asked?

I've been thinking about this a lot since this weekend. There's a lot to like about Spencer Jones so I've been on the fence about him. I think I have finally shifted to one side of the fence, but reluctantly. I could be wrong about this down the road and if I am I will gladly admit it but.... if I could get the right piece in return for Jones, I would trade him.


I know it sounds crazy, especially after this impressive home run but if I can get a GREAT starter for Jones, I'm in. Not just a decent one, but a great one. If the White Sox were still going to give me Dylan Cease for Jones than I am going to make that deal.

I do like Jones, a lot. I love his speed, I love his power, the left-handed bat and his five-tool potential. I love his start so far in spring ball but the fact is.... he's still a prospect. Even five tool prospects aren't guaranteed to pan out and the Yankees clock is ticking. Aaron Judge and Gerrit Cole are in their primes, and we are only guaranteed one year with Juan Soto. The Yankees should be ALL IN, but they aren't. I still don't believe they are contenders, but if Jones can give me a good package (including a starting pitcher) to make me better right now the Yankees need to pull the trigger. 


I think Jones has a ton of potential, but I just don't trust the Yankees to transform him into an elite player. Their analytics suck and my concerns with Jones are he hits too many weak ground balls, and he strikes out a lot because he has a long swing. I know the "he's five for five in spring" argument but it's two games in spring, his minor league stats show a different story. I just don't trust the Yankees to fix his weaknesses to help us in the future. The Yankees can't afford to just wait forever.


Maybe I am just impatient, but I think after the Yankees sent our top pitching prospect for a one guaranteed year of Soto there is no going back from that. So now you make any move that could help you win in 2024. Nothing is off the table IF the offer makes the Yankees closer to a championship, and an attractive prospect like Jones could.

If the Yankees don't win this year and Soto walks, it's a tough pill to swallow. I'm not eager to trade Jones, but he shouldn't be untouchable either.


--Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
BYB Senior Managing Editor
Twitter: @nyprincessj 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017