Saturday, December 9, 2023

ADD MOROSI TO THE "BASEBALL NON-INSIDER" LIST


If you read Bleeding Yankee Blue, ya'll know I can't stand bad info and the fact that over the years we have noticed a shift in the MLB when it comes to reporting and getting information out there. This new title of "Baseball Insider" was invented for guys that are "in the trenches" and knew sources and were "getting the inside scoop". But as we have seen, other than guys like Jeff Passan and Jack Curry... the actual baseball insiders aren't that at all.  Put it this way, their one job is to get the info, right? I mean they are the ones with the sources, and we are so relying on them for good information. Their info is supposed to be air-tight.  That's what a "BASEBALL INSIDER" is. Oh my, how we have fallen. 

I look at all the mistakes that are made over the last few years... they're laughable and irresponsible. It's like they are fumbling over each other to get the story out first, but they are not doing one important thing when they report... they aren't getting it right.

It's better to be right than to be first. That's my rule of thumb.  I also would never self-proclaim myself a baseball insider even if I could proudly wear the fake title, because, let's face it, with all the recent mistakes... why would you want to be known as that?

Bob Nightengale's was one of my favorites:

Trevor Bauer would eventually go to the Dodgers.  We all know that time Jon Heyman said that Arson Judge was going to the Giants. 


Clearly he meant Aaron, but he was wrong anyway... and the Yankees even made fun of him a few days ago when they signed Juan Soto.

The latest comes from Jon Morosi of MLB.  Now Shohei Ohtani is one of the biggest off-season acquisitions of our generation, and I guess feeling the need to get it right didn't matter to Jon, as long as he was able to get it first.  

Yardbarker writes:

"On Friday, Jon Morosi of MLB Network reported that Ohtani was on a flight to Toronto, hinting that an agreement with the Blue Jays was either done or close. That was not the case..."

Well, that proved catastrophic... I would even suggest embarrassing. Morosi apologized:

I'd love to know Jon's source, because clearly he needs new ones.

Meanwhile, what I think was more embarrassing was that the already-exposed "baseball insiders" that were wrong before him for Bauer and Judge were the guys trying to straighten it out for everyone. 


Comedy at it's best.  

I guess to get back in our good graces maybe? I guess they wanted to act like they were still considered "baseball insiders"? How very noble of you Bob and Jon. Seriously, you're already not followed by me.  

Look, who knows... but let's face it, the whole thing's embarrassing. All these guys are out there trying to get the story first... but let's face it, when it comes to baseball insiders, and if you REALLY AND TRULY watch their actions online, the really good ones are air-tight and have to correct information.  This is journalism whether they want to believe it is or not.  You gotta be right... so why not wait!  

Hats off to guys like Passan and Curry, and my guys Pete Caldera and Eric Boland... these guys are tops in the industry.  Thorough and eager to follow some journalistic integrity.  

I no longer follow Heyman, Morosi or Nightengale.  Why would I? Why would you?

Let me also state that my opinion on this is probably different than yours.  That's what makes opinions fun.  I take no offense to readers who won't read me because they don't agree with me. I know that sometimes I come off harsh or rotten or even complimentary to fellow writers.  But one thing I will always believe in is having an opinion, sharing that opinion and following standards of journalism.  I don't expect to be the best every day... but what I do expect of me and my writers at BYB is that we do it with a presentation we can be proud of.  If I didn't believe that, Bleeding Yankee Blue wouldn't be here since 2010.  

Like us, hate us, I don't care.  Respect us? You must.  I'm sure that goes across the board to certain "baseball insiders."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.