Sunday, October 8, 2023

THE IRRESPONSIBLE QUOTE ABOUT OHTANI WITH ZERO FOLLOW THROUGH FROM AN "INSIDER"


What a stupid nugget, designed to get every Yankee fan riled up. Let me start by saying that I have no use for Shohei Ohtani. He's a player of privilege, allowed to be a pitcher and a hitter in the MLB while other players with the same talents cannot.  So right there I'm out.  

But then I think about the horrible Yankee season and then I see this headline:  Shohei Ohtani 'Doesn't Love' Pitching at Yankees' Stadium amid FA Buzz.

Now you have to admire it.  Clearly it was about clicks.  I clicked on it. But then I realized where it all originated from.  Jon Heyman.

"That might be a problem for the New York Yankees' chances of signing the pending UFA, according to the New York Post's Jon Heyman.

"Word is Ohtani doesn't love pitching in Yankee Stadium," Heyman wrote Thursday."

But that was it.  No follow-up. No continued quote about why... no solution.  Nothing. I even went back to Heyman's original article HERE.  This is all he wrote:

"Word is Ohtani doesn’t love pitching in Yankee Stadium (27.00 ERA in 3 ²/₃ innings). He has to love hitting there though (.972 OPS)."

And so, this is what journalism has come to. A game of telephone.  As a reader, we want more. As a Yankee fan, the fact that I had to go dig to figure out what else came with that quote and then didn't find is ridiculous.  

And let's go further. It is my opinion that Ohtani coming to the Angels destroyed the Angel's team dynamic.  I think the media blew this guy up.  I feel like there was way too much attention on Ohtani and the Angels were left behind. Not to mention the whole idea of wrapping a team around Ohtani and Trout. The Angel's team never had a chance. And so Ohtani ran the headlines and clearly ran this one too.  

It shouldn't be about this guy all the time.  And that's when the media gets nuts and that's when they put out nuggets with nothing attached to it.  Bottom line? Read everything, and when you can't find the real story... call them out.  I'm tired of the click bait and the guess journalism. It's literally the fall of society.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.