Thursday, October 12, 2023

HAL STEINBRENNER IS A TEASE!



More smoke and mirrors, folks....but we are smarter than what Hal Steinbrenner is trying to make us believe. Yankee fans know what is going on, it's just too bad Hal doesn't.

Against my better judgement, I decided to check out what Hal and Randy Levine had to say at the Sportico's Invest in Sports conference, and I should not have. You can check out what Hal said HERE, multiple sources are carrying this story, but I particularly liked AP's take on this over all the other media outlets.


Naturally, Hal's "deep dive" was a topic of conversation and as much as I don't want to write about it anymore I will because next season we will see if this made any positive change or was just a bunch of garbage. I hope it brings positive change but, I don't buy anything Hal said at this conference. It was all a bunch of vague soundbites.

Hal says changes are coming, but I don't think they will be the right ones. When AP asked what those changes might be he said "We're going to be making some changes. Some may be more subtle than others. But I think we've uncovered certainly things we can do better." Vague. "Anything's possible. There's a lot more discussions to be had." Just more noise. Do I believe those discussions include Aaron Judge and Gerrit Cole? Yes, because those are Hal's centerpieces that he wants to keep happy, especially Cole if Hal doesn't want him to exercise his opt out clause in the future. Beyond talking to them both, I have little faith anything comes from it.

Hal went out to talk about renovations to the clubhouse for the players and review of everything from culture to health and wellness, analytics, scouting and communication. We all knew that was part of the plan, but I have no faith that Hal will actually make the changes that are truly needed. There's a lot that needs to be changed and I just don't think he has the desire to do it. He's not ready for the overhaul that is needed.

And the rest of us are talking about an overhaul in personnel. It's time for new blood and leadership and Hal wants us to believe it's a possibility. When asked about personnel changes he replied with "Possibly personnel, but not necessarily personnel" and the mind games keep coming. Aaron Boone and Brian Cashman should suffer the same fate you and I would if we were not performing to standard in our jobs, but they won't. They are different, but they shouldn't be. Hal wants us to believe he can be the enforcer and make changes.... but that was George Steinbrenner....the opposite of Hal.


The more I talk about this with other Yankee fans the more I hear people say they wish Hal would just sell the team, but that sounds like a longshot. I chose to highlight the AP's story on this because as you read it you can see just how deep this "family business" really is. Hal has nieces, nephews, grandchildren and even his own tinkering with this business. One can only hope that one of these other Steinbrenner's is more like George and can run the Yankees smarter in the future.

This "deep dive" is just a bunch of BS in my opinion. I doubt Hal has the balls or desire to make the changes this organization needs. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think I am. For now, Hal is going to keep talking the talk and try and sell you on his great act, but this girl isn't buying it. 


--Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
BYB Senior Managing Editor
Twitter: @nyprincessj






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017