Thursday, October 5, 2023

BOONE'S BACK BUT I WON'T BE


This is likely the worst season I have ever witnessed as a Yankee fan. And now, painfully I have to watch mediocre teams, better than the Yankees clearly, battle out for a chance at the Division Series. The topper of this sundae is that word on the street is that the dugout mastermind of this disgraceful team is coming back next season. So, if Aaron Boone's back I am pretty sure I won't be.

"Per SNY's Martino, general manager Brian Cashman and Yankees officials will meet on Wednesday to discuss what went wrong this season. Boone will be involved in those talks since he is likely to be retained as manager," reported SI.com. Seriously. Unless they are bringing him in to can him, it seems like Boone who's measured against no outcomes clearly will be leading the 2024 Yankees to exactly the same place they were in 2023.

"The Yankees recognize that their record was unacceptable this year, but Martino from SNY says the front office and clubhouse view Boone as part of the solution." In what world does any of this make sense? If I failed to meet the outcomes set by my department, month after month let alone year after year, I would be gone. But I guess Boone is measured against an invisible rubric designed to retain mediocrity and enable bad managing to continue in the most storied franchise in history. And I am not sure why Aaron Judge and the rest of the team want him back. They lose under Boone. Am I missing something?


According to CBS Sports, "In Boone's six seasons the Yankees are 509-361 (.585) and have won two AL East titles (2019 and 2022). They haven't won a pennant since 2009, however, and their 14-year pennant drought is the second longest in franchise history behind 18 years from 1903-20. It seems likely the Yankees will change something this offseason, but apparently it will not be the manager." Do the Yankee brass think Boone is capable of preparing the next generation of Yankees stars because he is a good communicator? Honestly, I am concerned that he will break those shiny newbies just as he has killed the veterans on this team. 

I invest a lot of time and money in the Yankees. I buy gear, I go to games, I pay for MLB TV, I write this blog and I watch every game. And when I am not watching, I am reading about the Yankees. But I have to say, with Boone coming back, I don't know that I can commit all of this time into the Yankees next season. I feel like I have just been cut by the team in many ways. Maybe the cold weather and time away will ease the harsh feelings I have. But right now, right here, I have to say unless Wednesday hands Boone a pink slip, I need to step away from this team until change in leadership happens. 




--Suzie Pinstripe
BYB Senior Managing Editor
Twitter: @suzieprof







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.