Wednesday, July 12, 2023

COLE CROSSES ANOTHER MILESTONE OFF HIS BUCKET LIST

 
Source: MLB Photos

It is embarrassing to see the Yankees have just one representative at the 2023 All Star Game in Seattle. I guess if our captain was well, this would not be the case. But still, I feel sad. I was however, lifted when I learned that Gerrit Cole would in fact start the game. And even better, he was really excited, so much so that he shared that starting in the All Star game was on his bucket list and last night he crossed that milestone off.

“I think it’s just always something that I’ve wanted to do, and I feel like I’m physically able to do it,” said Cole, who will be pitching on two days’ rest after throwing 7 ¹/₃ innings Saturday. “I got an opportunity, and [I am] thankful that Dusty [Baker] selected me," reported The New York Post

Source: MLB Photos

Cole is the first Yankee to start in the Mid-Summer Classic since Roger Clemens back in 2001. And Baker was more than happy to give Cole the ball, given is passion and excitement to pitch in this year's game.

“Guy’s been here five, six times. About time he started one,” Baker said on Monday’s workout day at T-Mobile Park. “And plus he’s one of the best there is. And plus he wanted it. A lot of guys, sometimes they might not want to pitch in this particular game, but he wanted to pitch. Hey, man, if a guy like Gerrit Cole wants to pitch, I’ll let him pitch,” reported The Post.

Cole is having a hell of a year, despite the Yankees abysmal first half of the season. When he pitches, he gives the Yankees a lift, especially after a loss. In fact, the Yankees have gone 8-0 when Cole starts after a loss. 


In his starting debut in last night's game, he retired the side, but with a little help from his corner outfielders who saved their AL pitcher from giving up two home runs in the first. I still have to root for our guy out there and I am grateful he had the opportunity to rep the Yankees. 

If Cole can stay consistent this season, he could reach another bucket list item- The Cy Young Award. And if the Yankees can turn things around, he could potentially...well let's not go there quite yet. The Yankees have a lot more to do before Cole and the rest can reach the World Series. Anything can happen and it all begins again on Thursday. But for now, the Yankees can regroup, reflect and get back out there- battling to win. 



--Suzie Pinstripe
BYB Senior Managing Editor
Twitter: @suzieprof







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.