Thursday, June 22, 2023

RESTRICTING THE SHIFT HAS NOT MADE JOEY GALLO BETTER

Sometimes you just gotta understand when it's no longer working. Maybe Gallo should consider doing something else.

MLB restricted the shift for 2023 and Joey Gallo was relieved. Hell, Joey Gallo fans were thrilled. "He's gonna start hitting really well now, you watch" a friend of mine said.  I said simply, "I'll believe it when I see it." Well, I'm not seeing it.

Just so you know what the shift restriction was all about, The Sporting News writes:

"While the pitch clock has been the hot topic in baseball throughout spring training, there is another MLB rule change being applied in 2023 that will possibly have a bigger impact on the game itself.

That is, of course, the restriction of the shift, which has become a prevalent part of game-planning for MLB managers. Because of the constant presence of the shift in recent years, particularly on left-handed hitters, MLB instituted rules in 2023 to get rid of extreme shifts. That means players can't be dramatically out of position ahead of the pitch."

But what did it really do for Joey Gallo's confidence and career? Not much.  Gallo at this very moment is batting .185 with 11 home runs. In fact, just think about how bad this guy is. Since 2021, this guy hasn't hit higher than .185 in a full season of play.  .185 is the highest average he's had.  So riddle me this, did Joey think he would improve? Back in February 2022 he was hot on the MLB getting rid of it.


"Gallo... said he believes that MLB should ban the shift.

"I get the defensive strategies. I do. I am 100 percent not against that… But I think at some point, you have to fix the game a little bit…" Gallo said. "I don't understand how I'm supposed to hit a double or triple when I have six guys standing in the outfield."

Last season he hit 8 doubles total. Right now, he's up to 7.  I mean has he really improved?  

Look, I appear to be ripping on this guy for no reason and maybe I am, but it's just one of those things where you look at the numbers and realize that they don't lie.  Maybe Joey's done?

Put it this way... would you want this guy on the Yankees right now? I know I wouldn't.

Look, good luck Joey. I wish you well. I just don't think the shift was the problem is all.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017