Friday, November 25, 2022

YANKEE PLAYERS LOVE AARON JUDGE & THE FEELING IS MUTUAL


There is no doubt that Aaron Judge was a team leader on the Yankees.  There is no doubt that the friendships he has with his teammates runs deep. He's just that guy, and that is a terrific thing to have in a player and teammate. Of course, the fans love him, but it's all really important that guys can respect each other and play with one another and that starts in the clubhouse.

I found this quote to be terrific, and there are so many more as well. ClutchPoints writes:

"He’ll bail you out of jail at 4 in the morning if you call him,” said first baseman Anthony Rizzo in a Wednesday report from NJ.com, who resigned with the Yankees on a two-year, $40 million contract in mid November."

Even Bozo Boone says this:

"“He’s not out there to be a hero or thinking, ‘I’ve got to do this, or I’ve got to do that,’” Boone said. “For five years, I’ve seen a person that is excited as can be for one of his teammates.”

Even Nestor Cortes has praised Judge on his friendship and leadership. MLB.com writes:

"“He's meant everything,” Cortes said. “I think I'm able to say that if he's back here next year, he's our captain; he's the next captain. We follow everything he does. He leads by example. He's not really a guy that comes out and screams at anybody. But if he has to, that's his job. I think he's earned that right to keep us in check.

“What allows him to be so great, I feel like, is he's a great baseball player, but he's a better human. He treats everybody the same. He follows up on everybody every day. That's what allows him to be who he is.”

This may have been the nicest endorsement and compliment from any teammate I've ever heard. And it's genuine and that's the most important part of it. 

There is no doubt that Judge is a good teammate and friend, but he's a leader. Something that was evident in Derek Jeter before and Mattingly before him. Teams need leadership, and Judge clearly is that guy.

Judge has said this about his teammates:

“They constantly push me day in and day out to show up in play, That’s the hard work they put in, day in and day out. The good days and the bad days, I’ve got to show up just like them. With the special crew that we’ve had this year and the group of guys that I’ve had over the past couple of years, I know I definitely wouldn’t be in this position.”

Let's hope that bond runs deep and it's not only about the money.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017