Tuesday, November 15, 2022

STRAWBERRY HAS SOME FREE AGENCY TRUTH-JUICE FOR JUDGE

I love that Darryl Strawberry turned it all around for himself.  This guy was in the pits for a while. I have to be honest. I thought that one day we'd find this guy dead of a drug overdose. It seemed like it was going that way.  

I loved that Steinbrenner gave Straw a comeback with the Yanks. It was special for him and for the team to see guys like he and Gooden get that chance they needed.  Anyway... now I'm just rambling.


I found this interesting and wanted to bring it to your attention. Straw has a few words to say about free agency and Aaron Judge.  Most importantly, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

NJ.com writes:

"Strawberry left the New York Mets for hometown Los Angeles Dodgers, signing five-year, $22.5 million contract. Strawberry tells a cautionary tale that the that the grass may not be greener at home on the West Coast. Via SNY:



“It was heartbreaking for me to leave New York because I was so used to Met fans and what New York fans were all about. Becoming a free agent, you let a player test the free agent market and most of the time he’s going to test it. I didn’t want to get to that place, but I got to that place, and I was very saddened about the fact that I had to leave New York because I was so used to the fans. L.A. fans come late and leave early. New York fans come early and never leave ... it was kind of different when I went to California, and it was more laid-back ... I was more used to the aggressive fans and playing in New York City ... when you suck, they tell you that you suck ... they want you to get better and that’s what I love about playing in New York ... that was the biggest mistake in my career, was leaving New York to go play in L.A.”



Look, one thing is clear, the Yankees have to make every effort to make sure Judge comes back. This isn't only on Aaron Judge. But still, this message from Strawberry is a powerful one, and worth sharing.  I leave you with this, from David Lennon:


Let's hope.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017