Saturday, September 17, 2022

WE LOVE JETER, BUT I REALLY DON'T THINK HE'S REPLACING BRIAN CASHMAN


Say what you will, but Cashman's done a pretty decent job. Look, not all acquisitions are gonna be superstars, this is New York. Some of these guys were stars in a smaller market. But in New York, it's the big freaking apple... it is hard to play here.  Joey Gallo... Sonny Gray... Frankie Montas... these are the guys I think about when I say that.  

You can't look at guys not performing and be like "This guy's a bum, so Cashman has to go." What you should be saying is "This guy's a bum."  I went off on Gallo for months and months.  He has a swing made for New York and didn't understand the pressures of New York.... and by the way, he still sucks in LA.  That's not Cashman's fault.


Derek Jeter night was amazing. With the success of "The Captain", I found a new love for Derek Jeter. Look, I'm the first one to really give Jeter a hard time. I really had a problem with how he handled my kid the night of the Joe Torre Gala we were lucky enough to attend. He just seemed like an autograph factory that night, signing and passing and never really acknowledging the kid who considered him a hero.  That bothered me. It bothered my kid. 

Now that kid is 20.  And we watched "The Captain" together... and we both walked away from that documentary thinking the same thing. "We get Derek Jeter now. He was guarded. It was overwhelming. He was private. We get it, he's forgiven."  It was hard to figure him out when he was an athlete.  Now we see exactly what he was going through. I said it once and I'll say it again, nice job with that doc.

But I think many fell in love with Jeter all over again after that doc. And now they think that because he's out of Miami, he's gonna start running the Yankees. While I love that idea, I just don't see it.

The New York Post writes:


"1. Cashman isn’t in danger of losing his job despite some fans’ wishes. Maybe if the Yankees fall out of first, then exit quickly as a wild card, but even then … Yes, some recent Cashman moves aren’t working, but evaluating a GM takes the full record into account, and he has 25 years of winning records. That’s a lot of winning.

2. Yankees boss Hal Steinbrenner values stability in a way his father never did. He’s not likely to completely change course off a “disappointing” 90-something-win season. And if he does, he’s unlikely to hire an unproven commodity.

3. Jeter isn’t known to be interested in a GM job.

4. There’s no evidence Jeter would be a better GM than Cashman."

Read the whole article. Heyman makes some good points. I find the last one hilarious considering he's using the word "evidence" and all this guy does is tweet made up shit about baseball rumors all day. Poor choice of words from a lousy baseball insider. But look, the article is good and he's right.

Yankee fans love what we can't have.  Look at Jordan Montgomery. Am I right?

Derek Jeter is loved. But Derek Jeter is not going to be the next GM. At least not now.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017