Monday, May 2, 2022

AN UNJUST DEMOTION FOR CLARKE SCHMIDT!


Boy do I feel bad for Clarke Schmidt right now. He's done everything the Yankees asked him to do, but sometimes it's just not enough. Schmidt was reassigned to Triple-A following Sunday's win against the Kansas City Royals and I feel for him.

I am willing to bet a lot of us do. It sucks when you can't stay and play when you have clearly earned the opportunity, but what can you do? It's a reminder that baseball is a business and it has rules to follow. This is just another one of those "life isn't fair" moments.

The Yankees had to cut their roster from 28 to 26 before today's game so two players had to go. Miguel Andujar also suffered the same fate but that doesn't make it easier to swallow. After making the Opening Day roster, the right hander posted a 2-2 record with a 1.08 ERA in 8.1 innings. He will head back to Triple-A to build up his pitch count. We know this isn't 'goodbye' forever, but it still sucks. 


And no one can say it better than Schmidt did HERE.
"It’s a real tough pill to swallow," he said. "It’s just tough. There’s no easy way to put it. I’ve been throwing well, I’ve been feeling well, comfortable and doing my job getting guys out."

He's right, he's been effective and he's helped the Yankees win. He's worked hard since he was drafted in 2017 and you can see the progression. It's frustrating when the Yankees can't reward him for his hard work with a spot right NOW. Even Aaron Boone the bonehead knows he's earned a spot on the big league roster. His words make sense for once.

"Obviously, Clarke’s a way better pitcher than he certainly was this time last year," Boone said. "He obviously pitched really well for us. He’s a big part of this. I’m sure he will be moving forward."


So I am reminding myself that I have to be patient, because he will have another chance. My gut tells me we will see him sooner rather than later. I don't want to see someone get hurt to give that opportunity again to Schmidt, but it could happen. Schmidt is the first one on the list, so we will just have to be patient and wait it out.

Too bad patience is not my strong suit....demotions that aren't deserved sure do SUCK.


--Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
BYB Senior Managing Editor
Twitter: @nyprincessj

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017