Thursday, November 11, 2021

BRIAN CASHMAN HAS A LOT TO SAY ABOUT CARLOS CORREA


I'm not too sure I like it either.

I've become very critical of Brian Cashman over the last couple of years, but back in the day I wasn't. I thought he was a genius what feels like many years ago now. I never questioned if he was crazy in what he did or said and just believed that he had a method to his madness and it would magically work. After reading recent headlines I am wondering.....is Cashman crazy or is he playing a game of poker with free agents?

In case you missed it, Cashman had a lot to say in a story the Houston Chronicle ran this week. You can find that HERE. Long story short, Houston made a couple of low ball offers to keep Carlos Correa and Cashman was quick to share his thoughts.

"Correa is just a very talented player, obviously," Cashman said on Tuesday. "Puts up numbers with the best of them. He’s obviously had an incredible career thus far. Certainly not afraid. He’s pushed forward, regardless of the circumstances. He’s clearly not afraid because (the sign-stealing fallout) has not affected his play."


I think we can all see he's not afraid now nor has he ever been, most likely. He certainly talks the talk, his production has let him walk the walk so that strong personality and New York's high expectations should be a perfect fit.

But what about that sign-stealing fallout? That is something that will never go away even if he were to wear our uniform. Some fans may be forgiving if he becomes a Yankee. I for one won't "forgive and forget." And just in case you share my sentiment it sounds like Cashman doesn't care.
Fan reaction "is not going to enter my calculus right now," says Cashman.

Whether or not fan reaction should influence his thought process could be a whole other topic, but that's not my point. What I'm wondering is more complex. Is this a Cashman strategy? Is he just trying to prove that poker face I thought he once mastered never left after all? 


At minimum, his statement drives up the asking price. If we are so interested and chasing him early in the game our presence just made his price tag go even higher than it already was. Francisco Lindor just got a big pay day, so there is that comparable. Is this just a ploy to drive the price up on Correa while Yankees chase another target like Corey Seager?

Maybe so considering Yankees are also exploring the market for other needs like help in center field too. I wouldn't be mad if that was the case considering I won't even pretend to want Correa in pinstripes. But that's just me. 




  --Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
     BYB Senior Managing Editor
    Twitter: @nyprincessj



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017