Monday, September 21, 2020

IS THIS THE END OF MARCUS THAMES?

I have been pretty critical of Marcus Thames this season, up until the Yankees started to look like the Yankees again and got back to their winning ways.  I appreciate the history the Yankees have with him both when he was a player and since he transitioned to coaching within the organization. He's had a long run, but maybe the end is in sight.

A couple weeks ago I really started to question DO THE YANKEES HAVE THE RIGHT COACHING STAFF? and I talked a lot about pitching coach Matt Blake, but especially....Marcus Thames. I said it might be time to move on and get some new leadership, especially with the hitting coach. Maybe it still happens, but not for the same reason....

If you haven't heard, on Saturday veteran manager Ron Gardenhire abruptly announced his retirement, effective immediately. I say abruptly because he was likely going to announcement retirement at the end of the season but he did it with less than a week of the regular season left. There's been a lot of speculation in the media that his decision is due to health, read more HERE. I'm sure there is more to the story that we don't know, I just hope the rumors aren't true. He's been through a lot, including beating cancer.

So with Gardenhire's retirement announcement, there is already a "short list" of names out to replace him and there are a few obvious candidates....and also Marcus Thames, read more HERE.

Could Thames be the next manager of the Detroit Tigers? I don't know, maybe. He was a fan favorite when he played in Detroit from 2004-2009. But again, I said he's on a short list....

There are also a few other recognizable names out in the rumor mill that we will all recognize like A.J. Hinch and Alex Cora. You remember the BLACK MARKS OF BASEBALL & 2ND CHANCES? Well it's a short season so that means a much shorter punishment for these guys.

Those are names I'd rather not talk about right now because we did it enough but....they will be topical again. The Tigers will probably wait awhile to start their search because several names they are interested in will likely be stuck in postseason bubbles for the playoffs and....A.J Hinch won't be eligible to return from his suspension until AFTER the World Series.



I think of all of the managers that were "reprimanded" for their cheating Hinch is still the most likely to get a second chance. He has a winning track record (even with the cheating scandal) and the Tigers have a good core of players coming up and a tenured coach will be even more valuable to Detroit.

I've always believed that there is a team out there that is going to give Hinch another chance at managing....and maybe it is Detroit. Maybe it isn't and maybe Thames will get his shot. I'm not sure how this is all about to go down, but the next few months will be interesting for both Thames and the cheating managers.

I don't know if this is the beginning of the end of Thames or not. All I know is I am still skeptical of Thames but if one of the guys mentioned is going to a new managing gig, I hope it's him. And I also really hope that Gardenhire is okay, and can enjoy his retirement with his friends and family. He's a good man.



--Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
BYB Managing Editor
Twitter: @nyprincessj


1 comment:

  1. I liked Thames when he first took over, last year and this year the team started hitting for the fence instead of making contact. Maybe the next hitting coach should be one who was a switch hitter so he can help both left and right handed hitters.Also prefer one who was a combo contact hitter with power and high average.
    As far as the pitching coach , not crazy about him but like him better than Rothschild but I prefer David Cone and I prefer Tony Pena as a bench coach over who the Yankees have now though I believe he left after not getting the job.
    Phil Nevin needs to be replaced by Willie Randolph.
    As for Boone, he won't go anywhere because be is a puppetbut I believe that Cashman should be replaced with Buck Showalter.He is a very smart man.
    That is my 2 cents .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017