Thursday, July 2, 2020

BIG CHANGES TO FIELD OF DREAMS GAME THIS SUMMER



"Is this heaven?" asked "Shoeless" Joe Jackson
"No.....it's Iowa" said Ray Kinsella
This is one of my favorite lines from the movie Field of Dreams.

And heaven for many of us was going to be watching the Yankees at the Field of Dreams game next month but it sounds like that plan has changed. The Des Moines Register was the first to break the story, you can read it HERE. Don't fret baseball fans, the game isn't completely cancelled as of now. Things can change quickly as Coronavirus cases continue to spike across the country, but as of now the game is still on....but the Yankees won't be playing in it.

Sad but true, thanks to the creative schedule for the 2020 season the St. Louis Cardinals will now play the Chicago White Sox instead of the Yankees. Now that the regular season is shortened to 60 games and teams are limited regional opponents in each league a match up between the White Sox and Yankees was no longer possible.



Field of Dreams is one of my favorite baseball movies, in fact I think I can recite most of it word-for-word. I really would've have liked to watch the White Sox and Yankees play, and I am bummed about it but considering all of the delays with baseball this season I will just be happy to see it happen. Now I guess we stay more authentic to the movie and we watch two mid-west teams battle it out.

The most important thing here is that the game happens. We NEED this game just like we need our baseball season. As of yesterday, even with the spike in Coronavirus cases in parts of the country the game is still scheduled to happen. The temporary 8,000-seat stadium is in Dyersville, Iowa, about 200 miles west of Chicago adjacent to where the movie was filmed. This would be the first major league game ever played in Iowa. It is unclear if any fans will be able to attend but the game will be nationally televised on Fox. Even if we can't see it in person I guess watching on tv is better than nothing.


I'm bummed that the Yankees won't be playing, but I am still going to tune in and watch it. A real game playing on a cornfield just like in the movie....I can already picture it in my head. It gets me excited even if the Yankees aren't playing anymore.

I hope the game still happens despite all the Coronavirus spikes happening. I am going to remain optimistic. Since I can't watch the game right now....I think I will go watch the movie right now instead.

Remember: "If you build it, they will come." 



--Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
BYB Managing Editor

Twitter: @nyprincessj

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017