Friday, May 15, 2020

SHAME ON BLAKE SNELL


Just a quick update from yesterday. We talked about the current situation that is currently unfolding between owners and players in PUMP THE BRAKES ON THE 2020 SEASON - THE PLAYERS AREN'T HAPPY! I even mentioned that I understood the sentiment. I get why the players are upset....well guess what I found on Twitter today?

Baseball journalist Jared Carrabis tweeted an interview with familiar Yankee foe Blake Snell. Of course, he's mad too. You could tell by his interview. In case you didn't hear it, you can listen below.



Again....I get it. The players don't want to take a pay cut. Actually, they already took one they don't want to take ANOTHER pay cut. Carrabis was just trying to be provocative, that's his job but that interview has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Truth is, Snell expressed himself, he chose words I never would have chosen and then Carrabis runs with it. We need to be honest about this and acknowledge how crazy this is....


First, I get Snell's frustration. I really do. I wouldn't want to take a pay cut either BUT his whole interview was TONE DEAF! I'm sorry his perceived "million plus dollar salary ain't shit" as he said. He said "BRO, I'M RISKING MY LIFE" by playing a kid's game and making less money. He's taking a big risk by playing and "I'm not playing unless I get mine" because the risk isn't worth the reward. So if that's the case....don't play. Seriously, why play? He should just look forward to 2021 as he mentioned in his interview that is assuming he still has a job with the Rays, or any other team.

This pandemic has been hard on all of us, and it sucks. I just wish Snell would sit back and think about the essential workers working the front lines in all of this. I am an essential worker, I'm not complaining and I make a lot less money! I come from a family of health care workers who are working the front lines during all of this and I have family who works in public safety. They don't complain either. Many of us come in more contact with people in ONE HOUR then these guys do all day, maybe all week. They are too consumed to realize that.

A lot of people are mad, it's all over Twitter....but some of us just don't get it at all.


If he doesn't understand why people have been roasting Snell on Twitter all day today then once again....this is TONE DEAF. Baseball is a game and players make a ridiculous amount of money playing it because they are TALENTED and can do things many of us can't do. I get that. But don't sit there and tell me your life is in danger when I am interacting with people all day. Don't talk about how dangerous it is when we have had brave healthcare workers on the front lines for WEEKS. Oh and our public safety officials are out on the streets interacting with everyone too. Think about the folks who work in grocery stores everyday to keep the shelves stocked for all of us so we can feed our families. THESE are the people in danger.


I hope Snell apologizes for his choice of words, I really do. I know he is frustrated as are many other players, but his choice in words was pretty damaging. 

Snell made himself the story, and it's not a good look at all. The subject should be about finding a way to bring baseball back with a fair compromise. That story has been lost....and it's sad.




--Jeana Bellezza
BYB Managing Editor
Twitter: @nyprincessj


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017