Monday, April 27, 2020

THE BLACK MARKS OF BASEBALL & 2ND CHANCES: PART ONE


It feels like day one million of quarantine. I often get my days mixed up and honestly, as I sit here and write this piece today feels like yesterday. Oh, but there is one notable difference.

So today I did a House party chat with one of my friends. If you haven't used House party before, it's like Facetime or Skype, I downloaded it onto my phone and iPad. I have been using it a lot lately to keep in touch with my friends and family. I talked to one of my friends today that I am used to seeing on a regular basis. It felt weird talking to her on House party as opposed to in person but....it's a sign of the times, right? We spent a lot of time talking about how we both miss sports, especially baseball and also the outcome of the Red Sox investigation and suddenly it got interesting.

"All of these cheating managers are just the black marks of baseball," my friend said. That quickly got my attention, "what do you mean?"  I asked.


As she started to explain, I understood the comparison. I like the definition she used, found HERE.
"An indication of failure or censure." I'd say that is accurate. So then we started talking about three specific black marks: Alex Cora, A.J. Hinch and Carlos Beltran. They definitely left a black mark on baseball, but in the world of "second chances" we started talking about if any of these guys would get a second chance.

At BYB we have talked A LOT about Alex Cora for months now. If you read us regularly, you know how we feel about him. I still can't get past the fact that ALL of these former managers will be eligible to work for a team in 2021 even if this Coronavirus pandemic cancels all of the 2020 season. It's not a "just" punishment but, we know we can't expect that from failed commissioner Rob Manfred.


So now that Manfred has given his non-punishment to the Red Sox and we know that Cora was fired by the Red Sox and now suspended for a 2020 season (if there is one)....question is, will he ever manage again?

Or does he get a "pass" or a second chance? The groundwork is being laid ladies and gentlemen....or at least I think it could be. After months of silence, desperate Cora has broken his silence.
So he has finally apologized after hiding for months. He could've apologized a long time ago, but he didn't. Now he finally comes out of hiding and even after all of the controversy it looks like he has some public support...from the Red Sox. Have you seen THIS?

Tell me that doesn't leave the door wide open for a future reunion?


"We did part ways with Alex Cora given what had happened in Houston and it was a mutual parting of ways," Red Sox President Sam Kennedy said. "It was a difficult parting of ways because everyone with the Red Sox -- John Henry (owner), Tom Werner (chairman), myself, Chaim Bloom, Brian O'Halloran -- we all have great admiration and respect for Alex. He came to the conclusion, as did we, that we needed to part ways given the conduct in Houston. Nothing has changed on that front."

And what about that second chance?


" I do," said Kennedy. "That's my personal feeling. He does need to go through a rehabilitation process. What he did was wrong. He acknowledged it to us and apologized to us for that. But I'm a big believer in second chances and we all wish him well."

There it is. Might not sound like a big deal now....but I think it is. If a popular team in baseball such as the Red Sox have this opinion so will another team. Maybe not right now. Or maybe they do and they just won't say it yet.....but I think someone else will share the same opinion. Not to mention that the Red Sox did win the World Series in his first year of managing, cheating scandal aside. That will make some owner think twice about it come 2021....especially an owner that has a struggling team looking to make some changes.


Kennedy is right, we all know it. Cora cheated and he was wrong. But in the eyes of the Red Sox it seems like water under the bridge already which is disgusting. The man ruined the integrity of the game, but they are already calling for Cora's second chance.

Cora is a black mark on baseball, and he always will be. He may be a black mark that gets another chance, and we can all name players or managers (*cough*Pete Rose*cough*) that won't. It just doesn't sit right with me. 

What do YOU think? Does Cora get his second chance? Could we see him again in 2021? Tell us...and stay tuned for two other black marks, coming soon.



--Jeana Bellezza
BYB Managing Editor
Twitter: @nyprincessj

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017