Thursday, February 12, 2015

YANKEES MAY BE WORRIED ABOUT THEIR OWN ROTATION

That title above is the only way to interpret what I just read...


According to Chad Jennings of LoHud:

"Eppler confirmed that both Adam Warren and Esmil Rogers have been told to prepare as starting pitchers. They will essentially show up in Tampa as sixth-starter options — guys who could fill a rotation spot if someone else gets hurt — but Eppler didn’t rule out the idea of either Warren or Rogers pitching well enough to win a rotation job even if everyone else is healthy.


'I don’t know,' Eppler said. 'I think you just walk into it with an open mind and just see. I think you just let it all play out. You usually don’t have to end up making the call. Situations and the players will make the call for you.'


Rogers pitched well as a starter in winter ball this offseason, and Warren was a legitimate rotation prospect throughout his minor league career (he made his big league debut as a starter back in 2012). For now, the Yankees seem to be looking at a five-man rotation of Masahiro Tanaka, Michael Pineda, CC Sabathia, Nathan Eovaldi and Chris Capuano, while they wait for Ivan Nova to come back from Tommy John."

Of course Eppler is Billy Eppler, the Yankees assistant general manager.

God... remember the days when we had a solid rotation? We didn't worry about injury or breakdown... We just handed the guys the ball and they did what was asked of them.

The Yankees stockpiled arms this offseason, and clearly they have picked their rotation, but you have to wonder if they are genuinely concerned about the rotation as much as Yankee fans are.  I mean, think about it;


Masahiro Tanaka could or could not be solid this year and it all stems from his injury last year.  CC Sabathia, while I love the big lug, concerns me a bit too.  Not because I don't think he's capable... I'm concerned his body won't hold up.


Pineda and Eovaldi don't really bother me too much, but there's no question there is worry about how Eovaldi will pitch in the Bronx. Does he have to chops to pitch on a big market team? And Cap... well, probably a really nice guy, but I just don't know how much he has left.

Nova feels great, but we won't see him for a while.

(In photo: Esmil Rogers)
And that brings me back to Rogers and Warren, the backups.

I'm probably being over-sensitive.  Some would look at this problem and suggest it's smart. While I agree in a sense, it makes me uneasy that we actually have to do this.... you know what I mean?

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!  Also, don't forget to check out the BYB Hub!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017