Thursday, March 13, 2014

"ICHIRO TO THE TIGERS" ... WE NEED TO STOP ALREADY


I can’t stand the rumors.  I have stated here plenty of times at Bleeding Yankee Blue, and I’ll continue to state it, if Ichiro is a bench player on the New York Yankees, than that’s a real good freaking bench player! Who wouldn’t want that... especially if Ichiro is willing to take that role. Especially if the Yankees don't mind.  Remember, a few weeks ago he said this about his approach, no matter what role:  

"Whatever my role is here – whether I’m a starter or not – my preparation never changes... Every day I’m going to do the exact same thing regardless of what my role will be. The preparation stays the same, I’m doing the same things to get to where I need to be.... If I was the type of player who changes the way I prepare myself, I wouldn’t be the player I have been."


If that's the case, why is he suddenly being shipped off to Detroit by the media?  I've already read that Ichiro will "get more playing time" if he goes to Detroit. Why? because Andy Dirks is hurt... and suddenly, the Tigers are "desperate".  Well, how the hell does the media know what Ichiro wants or what the Yankees want? Thanks for fill holes guys, seriously... stop.


It's funny, if you ask the Tigers, they haven't even engaged the Yankees about an Ichiro deal.  Read Joel Sherman of the New York Post who apparently is the only mainstream paper who has it correct:


"Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski told me he has yet to figure out if they will go internal or external for a platoon partner for Rajai Davis, but he did say “we are not actively seeking a big move,” and Yankees officials concurred that Detroit has not inquired about Ichiro."

Seems like a non-story to me.  Does a deal make sense? Sure, I guess... but we need to stop already.

It's true, Ichiro might be the most famous 5th outfielder ever, but if he's not bothered by the diminished role and if the Yankees can handle his $6.5 million salary, then all is well.  No one panic here.  

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

1 comment:

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.