Monday, February 17, 2014

WHAT JETER DID FOR A GENERATION OF BALLPLAYERS


I found this fascinating and wanted to bring it to your attention. Plus, you're only going to get this information here at Bleeding Yankee Blue because it was exclusive to us in the first place.

Look, there was something that I always had in the back of my mind as I interviewed up and coming players, as well as other former Yankees that manned the position of shortstop before Derek Jeter.  I knew that one day Derek Jeter would retire.  I mean, we all did... Now that he's made his announcement, I wanted to do something different.  I went back and I looked for all those questions and answers of these players and I wanted to share them with you in one post.  It's special to me because I know just how special Derek Jeter is to them.  Many of these kids grew up wanting to play baseball all because of Derek Jeter.  Some of them have been lucky enough to play for the Yankees... and have finally met the the guy face to face.  In other words, it's come full circle for all of them.

Not to mention, guys like Roy Smalley, a solid shortstop for the Yankees and now a former player that told me he was a "Jeter fan."  How amazing is that?  Jeter has made generations of baseball players past and present love the game because they love the way Derek Jeter plays, and carries himself on and off the field.  Check this out, I think you'll really enjoy it:


BYB: Who are some of the other players you looked up to?

Dante Bichette Jr: My favorite player now is Derek Jeter. ... Of course, I like how he plays when he's on the field but I really admire his quiet confidence when he goes about his business.
(Read EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: DANTE BICHETTE JR for more)


BYB: Who were the guys you stuck with? What was Derek Jeter like, you being the new guy?

Juan Padilla: The clubhouse was something else, just thinking about all the great players that walk through that clubhouse game me the chills... I was surrounded by great players I watched every night on TV and now I was right there being part of the team. Derek Jeter was absolutely awesome with me. He treated me very nice and put me under his wing...
(Read CHATTING IT UP WITH JUAN PADILLA for more) 


BYB: People are already calling you the next Derek Jeter.  How does that make you feel and how do you stay focused throughout the media circus? 

Cito Culver: I feel honored to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Derek. I don't think there will ever be another Derek Jeter, so it's unfair to say I am the next. I am just happy to have the opportunity to play for the Yankees and I hope I can make a difference in the future. (Read EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: CITO CULVER for more) 


BYB: Growing up, who did you idolize and why? 

Rob Segedin: I grew up a Yankees fan and started watching baseball when Derek Jeter was a rookie. He is what the Yankees are about in every aspect. The way he plays the game, the way he represents himself on and off the field. He just does everything right. It was fun to be able to watch him growing up and then be in the same locker room with him.
(Read EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: ROB SEGEDIN for more) 


BYB: Tyler, have you ever been star struck by a baseball player? Who was it and why were you star struck? 


Tyler Austin: My All-time favorite player is Derek Jeter and I got to meet him in Spring Training.  I idolized him since I was a little boy and patterned my life on and off the field after Mr. Jeter.  I went to shake his hand and finally got to meet him and I couldn’t even get his name out because I was so nervous... I want to take in any advice he would offer me.  It would be an honor for me just to be on the same field with him and to share the clubhouse with a man such as he.
(Read EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: TYLER AUSTIN for more) 


BYB: How was a guy like Derek Jeter in the Yankee clubhouse? Is he truly a team player?

Clay Rapada: He will go down as one of my top favorite teammates.


  
BYB: Which guy on the Yankees right now are you a "fan" of,  not just because of his playing ability, but also because they are a wonderful role model and why?
Roy Smalley: I am a huge fan of Derek Jeter.  The professionalism and talent with which he has played the game since his first season with the Yankees is example for players and fans everywhere.  When the Yankees came here to Minnesota after Derek had gotten his 3,000th hit, I made a point of visiting him in the locker room and told him that as a former shortstop and on behalf of shortstops everywhere, we are proud of what he has done and how he has gone about doing it.  That was less about 3,000 hits and everything about the example he is on the field (and off, too).
Read EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: ROY SMALLEY for more) 


I thought this was cool... I hope you enjoyed it!
 
Thank you to all the Bleeding Yankee Blue readers for continued success.  You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in the history of Yankees fandom.  Thanks for reading, sharing and enjoying. Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017