Sunday, February 2, 2014

"I JUST NEEDED SOMEONE TO GIVE ME A CHANCE."

There have been champions that have coasted through a career.  Then, there is Russell Wilson, the quarterback of the Seattle Seahawks.


I'm not looking to convert BYB into a football site.  I'm merely praising excellence on the field. Be it baseball or football or badminton. Passion, determination and opportunity knocks. And it knocked tonight in East Rutherford for a young man who was given a shot and ran with it and defeated a more qualified Peyton Manning in Super Bowl 48.

I'm a fan of the underdog, but I'm also a fan of the believer. Read ROOTING FOR THE BELIEVER for more on that.  Don't gloss over that link... read it... you'll learn something.

Again, I'm a fan of the believer. That's not to say that the Seahawks or Wilson were underdogs in this scenario.  After all, when you look at the tale of the tape, Peyton had the experience...so it almost seemed like an obvious choice for him to win. But when push came to shove, the kid put it out there, and Peyton choked... plain and simple.


Being interviewed by Howie Long in the pregame, Wilson said something  that stuck with me. He said, "I was a 5 level quarterback, and I just needed someone to give me a chance."  Yup, I've seen that a lot in my lifetime.  "Being given a chance" is never a "popular" choice.  Coaches want a "sure thing" in sports and so, they give players that they "know can do it" the opportunity to shine, where as others, fall by the waste side.  Russell Wilson was given a chance, and I applaud the coaches that saw the potential in his grit and heart. They are smiling right now... they rolled the dice.

So, why am I writing this? Because I love opportunity... and I love when the lesser does more.


Now look, you need to know where my heart was in this game. I am a Broncos fan by default. John Elway was a New York Yankee once, before he was a Denver Bronco...  and because of that, I supported Elway until he won a Superbowl and then retired.


Now, years later, the Broncos made it back, this time led by Peyton Manning, the brother or 2 time Superbowl champ Eli Manning. The synergy was there... Yankees, Broncos, NY Eli... and Peyton.


There is no better script if you were me. The difference however, is when the underdog is on the other side and opportunity knocks... Well, you then need to look deep into the eyes and heart of the guy who is "given a shot." Russell Wilson was given a shot. Russell Wilson lead the Seahawks to a Super Bowl Championship.

Now, you can look at this post and be puzzled. "Has Casey gone mad? This is a Yankees baseball site... what gives?" Heart gives.  I love the guy that no one thinks about.  I love the thrill of victory, stealth like, especially if it's warranted, yet ignored.  There was something amazing about tonight's Super Bowl, that, while I hated it, still loved the thrill. It was glorious.

Believing in yourself is half the battle. Executing is the other.  Sure, if you think you can do it, I think that that is the biggest gift you can ever give yourself.  But being there, doing what you are set out to do and winning it all, be it the World Series, the Super Bowl. the presidency... whatever... that my friends, is the true thrill of victory... and something no one can ever take away.


Congrats to Russell Wilson and the Seahawks. Congrats to the underdog, the believer, the achiever, the ignored... the man who just wants and needs a chance... and is given it to win Super Bowl 48. You lead by example, I applaud you. 

Champions come in all shapes and sizes, and Wilson proved that in his moment... do it in your moment... become a champion...

Thank you to all the Bleeding Yankee Blue readers for continued success.  You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in the history of Yankees fandom.  Thanks for reading, sharing and enjoying. Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017