Monday, January 20, 2014

SPORTS, GRATITUDE & GIRL POWER

In photo: Alma Ziegler, AAGPBL 1950 MVP
"It's hard being a girl. Everyone underestimates you. No one thinks you can do  the same stuff as boys. They expect you to like clothes, and shoes, and make-up. And pink! I don't like any of that stuff. I like building things. And you don't like any of that stuff. So we're not 'girly.' But why can't we be girly? Why can't playing a sport be the girly thing to do? Boys aren't the only ones that can play basketball or baseball."

My eight year old ranted at me. Admittedly, the conversation started when I asked her why she hadn't put away one of her Barbie dolls. She hates dolls, with the very rare exception of those Monster High ones. "But, those teach you to be yourself, regardless of what other people think. I don't fit in. But that's okay, because I'm really good at standing out," she'll argue.


My little girl is a sassy little warrior. That's what I call her. Never "Princess." Not to her face, if I can help it, anyway. She is my warrior. A soldier in her own right. Courageous, brave, and strong. All words she accepts when describing her. But she does not like "princess." Princess seems too vulnerable to her. Too much like she expects us to fight for her. Believe me, she does not need anyone to put up a fight for her. I told Casey recently, she's the smallest one of her peers, but she walks like a giant.

She hardly ever gets into her rants. But when she does, you should sit up and pay attention, because 9 times out of 10, she is dropping some serious knowledge. As much as an eight year old can anyway. And usually, she is spot on. Hell, being a girl IS hard. We are underestimated in most circles. Sports is definitely one of them.


I had a conversation recently with a gentlemen who was waiting for his son to be released from school. He saw my sons Yankee cap, and told him "Why do you like the Yankees?" My son answered simply "Because my mom taught me about them." The guy laughed. Actually laughed at my seven year old son. I was floored. Because females cannot possibly teach anyone about sports? So I started conversing with him. I told him that I write for BYB. I told him about the two other wonderful female writers, Jeana Bellezza, and Suzie Pinstripe. He seemed unsure, as if the possibility of females writing seriously about sports was an impossibility. Told him to check it out, and let me know when he can hold serious conversation with me about sports. Admittedly, I was ticked off because he laughed at my son.

The point is, all too often, that is the response. As if females have never made strides in sports. You only have to do a quick Google search to know that isn't true. The US Women's National Softball team brought home three out of four Olympic gold medals. They've won gold every year since 2006 in the World Cup of Softball. The US Olympic Women's Basketball team brought home the gold medal this past summer Olympics. And don't even get me started on the US Olympic Gymnastics team. Females in sports continue to prove themselves time and again, and yet we still find it an oddity when a female fan actually knows what they are talking about? It's a strange to me. Even my husband, bless his heart, sometimes still looks surprised when I read off my pieces to him. Yea, honey! You're wife knows a thing or two. So when I find someone who truly understands, and supports, not just me, but BYB as a whole, well I have to give them serious props.


There is a group of sisters who run a Fantasy Football podcast. Brandon Lee, Ashley Williams, and Courtney Kirby are the ladies behind Her Fantasy Football. They are smart, sassy women with more football knowledge than any man I have ever met. Sorry, gentlemen, it's true. This season, these ladies have been huge supports, giving "shout outs" to myself, and BYB, and I cannot thank them enough for the love. (click to 28:55 to hear it.)


Bottom line, "being a girl is hard." Being a girl who loves sports is harder. We have to stick together. Thank you for the love shown, and a world of success to you all. Also, thanks for the tips! Won the championship in my league. Was the only girl, and no one thought I belonged. So it was… sweet! Keep up the excellent work. Like my eight year old, you ladies are warriors.

And let's hear it for females with the sports know how to hold there own in male dominated world. Let's hear it for ladies like Kim Jones, and Meredith Marakovits. Let's hear it for the young ladies everywhere that strive to me more than a Princess. And while we're at it, is it too much to ask to bring the All American Girls Professional Baseball League?



--Erica Morales BYB Senior Writer
Twitter: @e_morales1804


Thank you to all the Bleeding Yankee Blue readers for continued success.  You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in the history of Yankees fandom.  Thanks for reading, sharing and enjoying. Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017