Sunday, December 8, 2013

REGARDING CHAMPIONS...


When we speak about champions, I know the New York Yankees, whether you are a fan or not, come to mind.  27 championships, 34 Hall of Famers, record breakers, record holders and epic managers have all worn pinstripes for the team housed in the middle of the South Bronx.  And I have to say that this week’s transactions and talks have really gotten me excited – more excited than I have been in the last few years.  As I reflect on special moments over the last few years, there are two videos that motivate me and move me to tears, making me miss the Yankees and the taste of baseball in my soul as winter makes spring seem so far away.


The first video depicts the end of the 2011 incredible quest for 3,000 through the eyes of a champion, our champion, Derek Jeter.  July 9, 2011- I was planning for my son’s middle school graduation party and the televisions were blaring across several rooms in my house.  Guests would soon be arriving and the dunk tank was prepped and ready in the yard.  And then, it happened, in one swift swing- Derek Jeter became Mr. 3,000 against the Rays right at the Stadium.  This video depicts the call by the YES Network and CBS Radio- Michael Kay’s and John Sterling’s epic calls of a day that will forever be remembered across baseball, but particularly in Yankee lore.



If this didn’t give you chills, then this next video certainly will.  I was working with some students at the university today when one of the students who I was paired with told me something that I think you all will really appreciate.  We were both part of a workshop entitled “How to be an effective first year teacher.” During the workshop, we were given an index card with a word or name written on the front.  We were asked to find its best match among the 30 or so students present.  I had ketchup and my counterpart was of course mustard – two musts for the ballpark.  And as chance would have it, the young man I was paired with is a Yankee fan.  We talked briefly about new acquisitions Jacoby Ellsbury and Brian McCann.  When I mentioned McCann, the pre-service teacher sort of winced. 


When I inquired, he said very confidently and clearly, “McCann’s okay but I miss Posada.  I miss what he brought to the team.”  I couldn’t agree more and this coming from a young man who is no more than about 19-years-old.  He appreciates a champion and certainly knows one when he sees one. 

My next video memory is the Road to 2009 World Series video through the mix of John Sterling calls leading to the ultimate declaration of “Game over, World Series over, thaaaa Yankees win!”


So as we continue to anticipate the next big move and worry about the welfare of some of our great players, keep the word champion at the frontal lobe of your brains.  Because, fans, this is our time, this is our year- 2014 is the season when we take back what is ours- our 28th championship and by the way, a big thank you to the Boston Red Sox for lighting a fire under our asses!  This has been a great talk regarding champions, fans… enjoy the videos and visualize the next big one in 2014.


--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Opinion Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof




The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017