Monday, November 18, 2013

THE YANKEES MADE AN IMPORTANT MOVE AT SHORTSTOP


Everyone knows that Derek Jeter will be back 100% next season at shortstop for the New York Yankees.  I believe it, many of my friends believe it.  Derek Jeter believes it, he said as much.  Harold Reynolds even believes it.  This Tweet comes from my friend Rosemari:


The only one who probably doesn't think Jeter can hack it, probably because of age and injury is our buddy Jason Keidel at CBS Sports.  Remember his piece titled Should Derek Jeter Retire?


It ticked me off then, when he wrote it in May, and it ticks me off now, but the reality is, maybe, just maybe Keidel was onto something.  Whatever the case, I'm sticking with what I believe, Jeter will be back and he'll play a crap load of games for the New York Yankees in 2014 and do it well. And if he retires, it will be his farewell tour.  Let's hope injury doesn't force him into retirement. No one wants that!


In the meantime, and only as a backup plan, the Yankees made a move.  It's an important move with a guy that I absolutely love defensively.  The Yankees re-signed Brendan Ryan.  According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, " Brendan Ryan, who will provide insurance for shortstop Derek Jeter, has a deal with the Yankees, sources say."

Then, he threw another nugget in there writing: "The Yankees are still pursuing free-agent shortstop Stephen Drew as they have questions on both sides of the infield. Jeter signed a one-year, $12 million deal for 2014."


The Yanks are making small moves right now, but the Ryan move is important believe it or not.  Plus, I found a great piece from the News Tribune I encourage you to read.  Ryan is a pretty fun and talkative guy in the clubhouse.  Ryan Divish wrote this back in September after he was traded from the Mariners, "Ryan brought a unique personality to the team. It was a mixture of youthful enthusiasm and stinging self-criticism. His teammates found it amusing more than annoying. He was entertaining without trying to be. 'He definitely brought a different dynamic to the team,' said Brad Miller, the rookie who replaced him as the starting shortstop. 'It might be a little quieter around here. It was purely genuine with him. He was a great guy and teammate to be around.'” You might think that's boring, but the Yankees could use that type of energy right now.  I find it interesting.


Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/09/11/2779892/brendan-ryans-absence-felt-in.html#storylink=cpy
So what's next? There is alot of talk that the Yankees are about to go hard on catcher Brian McCann, but I'm not going to get into that conversation until I see more movement.

Ryan, while he can't hit, is a big move for a good defensive shortstop and I'm glad he's back.  If there are any other moves, I'll be sure to bring it to you.  In the meantime, I wonder... remember when the Yankees touted Eduardo Nunez as the future shortstop of the New York Yankees? How's that working out?

The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017