Monday, November 11, 2013

COULD ROB KAMINSKY BECOME A YANKEE?


I hate stories about guessing and speculation, but I couldn't let this one get by.  I had always felt that the Yankees made a mistake when they passed up young lefty pitching stud Rob Kaminsky in the first round of the draft this season for a third baseman in Eric Jagielo.  I think almost everyone thought the Yankees would sign Kaminsky, including Kaminsky's family. He was one of the best pitchers in the round... but they didn't go after him, they chose Jagielo. 


No offense to Jagielo, he's great and I'm happy he's with us, but me seeing Kaminsky fire it in in North Jersey for St. Joe's, I could see something real special in that kid.  In fact, I was sold, many of us were and  he needed to come to the Bronx. My mind was made up.


Kaminsky went to the Cards and eventually I got over it, after I had written SIGNING AARON JUDGE & THINKING ABOUT ROB KAMINSKY in June. After that, life went on... until now.

Jim Bowden of ESPN had a Tweet about Cardinals GM John Mozeliak and it got me thinking again (I hate when that happens.)
Now, you can read that Tweet and think, "Who the hell do the Yankees have that's a young controllable shortstop?"  Maybe Cito Culver, or maybe someone else, who knows. My point is about Rob Kaminsky though.  Look, I've seen the kid pitch, he's incredible and knowing all I know about the guy, I can't help but wonder whether the Yankees should pursue a stud like this, I mean, they have a second chance. Would the Yankees try and flip for him? Is a stud like Kaminsky even available? Again, it's me talking out loud, that's all.

(In Photo: Cito Culver)
And what do the Yankees have in return? I mentioned Cito Culver and to be honest, I'd like to see what the kid has in pinstripes before we ship him off. After all, he's talented enough to succeed anywhere, but would the Yankees do that knowing that the days of Derek Jeter are over? What back up security at short do we have? Who else is in the mix at short for the Yankees in the future?  Do we have the pieces to flip for Kaminsky?

We have Angelo Gumbs, but he's a second baseman.  Is he a guy the Cardinals can convert to shortstop?  Do we make a phone call and try to flip someone else to the Cardinals? An outfielder, a third baseman? Do we even bother?


Look, I'm a believer in the youth movement of the New York Yankees...after all, it's time!  There are guys like Dante Bichette Jr, Mason Williams, Ty Hensley and Tyler Austin that I believe they are our future. And not just in 7 years... very, very soon.  I believe the Yankees screwed up when they didn't sign Kaminsky. That's my opinion. I also believe that 1 player doesn't make a franchise. Now, is it a make or break moment and should we try and snag him now? I don't know.  In fact, I don't even know if the Cardinals would be willing to part with the guy, but that's why BYB exists.  As a fan, when my mind gets full.... I like to think it out and sometimes, I like to think it out loud.. like now.


Let's be honest, this post is all speculation and nothing more. It makes you think and it clears my brain.  But I will say this, pitching is extremely important and if the Cardinals are dangling a young pitcher, be it Kaminsky or someone else with potential... the Yankees should be listening... that's all I'm saying.

The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017