Sunday, October 13, 2013

TO BYB, MY GRATITUDE


About two years ago, a few friends of mine started sharing post from BYB on my Facebook wall. I had no idea what it was, but knew it was Yankee related and was willing to give it a go. I was a causal reader, checking in every few days at first. Eventually it was my morning go-to. A Yankees fan run blog that was more informative and entertaining than any sports section, in any newspaper.

I build a friendship with Jeana Bellezza, who had been editing for BYB for a while. At the time, she was deciding whether or not to submit to Casey one of her own pieces. I kept telling her to go for it, and was thrilled when he decided to publish her work. Honestly, Jeana is probably one of the best writers I know. 

I kept reading BYB. They were all knowledgeable, and at the very core, crazed Yankees fans, just like I was. I remember at one point, Casey wrote saying he was looking for writers. I thought about it. I mean, I know my baseball well enough, and writing is a passion for me. But I let the opportunity pass. I'm not going to lie, I was intimidated. The writers for BYB are incredible. So yes, I was scared that my stuff wouldn't measure up. I let the opportunity pass, and stuck to being an every day reader. 

I remember Jeana telling me that Casey was looking for writers. She knew I loved writing, and I knew my stuff. She told me I should message Casey and try my hand at BYB. I remember my hands shaking as I messaged him. It's funny now thinking about it. I have a great amount of respect for Casey, but to think how terrified I was is amusing to me. The truth is that Casey is one of the greatest editors I could ever ask for. He is kind and understanding. 

I've been writing for BYB for over a year. The entire experience has been amazing. I feel really lucky every day that I get to do something I enjoy. I get to combine my love for the Yankees with my passion for writing, and that is the greatest feeling to me. The best part about writing for BYB? Aside from Casey being an amazing person to work for... we have the greatest FAMILY of writers. People I feel honored to have my name published next to. A group of phenomenal people that really embrace one another's work, and support each other. Suzie Pinstripe and Jeana are two of the greatest female sports writers hands down! In a market that is dominated by males, they come out swinging every single time, and knock it clear out of the park! Ike Dimitriadis, and Rudy Laurens have what seems to be this bottomless fount of baseball know how that leaves me in awe most times. Chad MacDonald's sense of humor, combined with his love of the sport makes for incredible story after incredible story. And Casey, who combines Yankees, family, and meaningful life lessons is the captain at the helm of this ship. 

I love BYB. I love reading the pieces the other writers put up. I love that BYB is about more than baseball. I am extremely grateful to Casey for the opportunity to write for BYB. I am grateful to the other writers for supporting me, as I support them. And I am most especially grateful to the readers to comment on, share, or like my pieces. I do not do this for notoriety, but knowing that you all appreciate my work keeps me motivated. It keeps us all motivated. Words will never suffice to express my gratitude.



--Erica Morales BYB Senior Writer
Twitter: @e_morales1804




The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017