Thursday, September 19, 2013

WITHOUT CONFIDENCE, THE YANKEES CAN KISS 2013 GOODBYE


After my son's baseball game tonight, I took him to McDonalds.  We were standing in line, my son was in his uniform and a man looked at him and said something you never want to hear anyone say about the Yankees in September... "Do you hit better than the Yankees?"

"Huh?" My son was not sure what he was getting at.

"Do you hit better than the Yankees because the Yankees can't hit at all right now!" The man was clearly frustrated and was trying to be playful to ease his tension.

"Yeah... I have confidence," my son said.  Later in the car, he asked me, "Was that arrogant when I said that I had confidence?" 

"No. It made me proud," I said.

You can be one of the most talented ballplayers in the world ladies and gentlemen... but if you don't have confidence, you'll never succeed.  Look at what my New York Yankees have become.  They suddenly can't hit a lick and they are all over the map.  I hate to use the word "lazy", but that's what they look like.  It seems like they ran out of gas.  It seems like all their effort, their hard work trying to pick each other up all season has really taken it's toll on the club.  They've reached their breaking point, and it's sad. 

Tonight... we scratched together 2 runs. TWO. The Toronto Blue Jays, a last place team in the American League east, scored 6.  No, they aren't the best team out there, but they had confidence, and it showed... they won, we lost.


Hiroki Kuroda went 6 innings, gave up 8 hits and only 3 runs.  Let's just say, while Kuroda was not incredible, he kept the Yankees in the game trying to be competitive out there. He knew he'd been struggling and had to keep us in the game.  He did, but the Yankee offence could not get it done.  When Joba Chamberlain came in, he gave up 3 more and we were done at that point.


Joba is clearly miserable and counting the days until he's no longer a Yankee.  Suzyn Waldman said it best... "When Joba started, he was aggressive and always fought hard. He attacked." That's a paraphrase, but she's right.  Joba has no confidence and he's no good anymore.  He's overstayed his welcome and a good change of scenery could do the body good. That's the harsh reality because I love the big lug... but it's over.


The Yankees had a home run by Curtis Granderson in the 6th.  In the 9th, Alex Rodriguez scored on a Vernon Wells ground out. There are your 2.  

Look, if the Yankees are looking to end this season now... they're doing awesome, but I find it hard to believe that with all of us rooting as hard as we can, they can't scrape more than 2 runs across the plate.  That's not only pathetic, it's awful and we are literally at the end in this wild card race. 

Final: Blue Jays 6 - Yankees 2

The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017